Sinister: Mersey // Killing

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Sun Apr 15 15:19:51 BST 2001

It's a shame about Roy Walker.

Thanks to Pedro for sending an advert to the list.
I've always thought those 'list rules' were just
*silly*. I'm especially grateful to Pedro for telling
us about the collection of songs by bands who played
at ATP, because, as you may know, I am very keen on
those bands, and spend large parts of each day wishing
that I had a compact disc containing tracks by them.
The kind of thing I would like to have would be - just
for instance - a self-indulgent 14-minute
multi-generic ramble by The Tortoises; a seemingly
endless load of bleeping toss by Alultechre; a
seemingly unending load of tripe by Bored of
Weybridge. If you can fix us up with some of that
gear, Pedro me old china, we'll be made up, catch my
drift?

Maria Sierra's name reminds me, come to think of it,
of that Yankee beer thing called Sierra Nevada or
something. And that's a *good* thing, la.

Youn foxed us all again. We just don't know where
she's coming from next. In that respect she is much
like Remi Moses. She said that the Dastoor's
appearances on sinister felt significant - and I
agree. I miss him too.

Jenowl said that ATP sounded good. No, no, la - it
*was* good, but it didn't *sound* good. It sounded
atrocious.

Maria S also said that elenita99 was a good cooker. I
disagree. I think she's more of an old boiler.

There is something to be said about the altered
phenomenology of film since video: ie, the possibility
that viewers concentrated on movies more when they
might not get to see another film again for another 20
years. I am reminding myself, in writing this, or the
other day when Sally la M held surely the best
sinister party in months. I have got to tell you about
the thrills that la M laid on, along with her pals.
One or two geezers found her pals a thrill, too, but
that's another matter. No, the bash itself was
something to behold - it was time for beer, Frazzles,
red wine, Martini and ginger, and talk of the real
meaning of Black Box. It was the best discusion of
Black Box EVER. I really mean that - it was MUCH
better than the discussions of Black Box that Reynolds
and Stubbs used to have on Friday afternoons in summer
1989, when they would lounge around saying 'god, Black
Box are great, aren't they?'. I mean it - to everyone
that participated in this Black Box discussion, thank
you. You rock - I mean, you dance.

Unknown folks also derived known pleasures from
discussing things that Llaura Lll had said. I think
that LlllLlll would be amazed if she knew how folks in
England discuss her. Or would she? Her remark about
density and light started a whole scientific debate. I
listened, and understood nary a word. That's because I
have CLEVER friends, see.

Some gal from North London acted as DJ with unusual
good taste, and cried into her beer, metaphorically,
when thinking about some wee bairn from somewhere up
North. I don't know. Mick Jagger took notes, hoping to
write another 'Crying In Your Daquiri' song sometime
soon.

As the night wore into morning, it once again turned
out that Lloyd Cole was incredibly brilliant, and
surely the most underrated artist of the last 20
years. The result was surprising at first, but we got
used to it, and realized that it was accurate.

Sophie in Central Park - apart from being a song that
Paul Simon never quite wrote, and more's the pity -
said that 'Brown-Eyed Girl' was camp. Did she mean
'summer camp'? She said that the MFs made her cry, I
think; unless I am misquoting her. I wonder why?
Please tell.

Summer songs? Let's see - 'The Power' by Snap. That is
a very, very bad Summer song.

Lloyd Cole's 'Don't Look Back', on the other hand, is
a very, very, very great Easter song. With that song
in mind, let me wish you all a happy Easter.