Sinister: Oh, Caledonia!

Will Salt wpsalt at xxx.com
Tue Apr 17 14:11:40 BST 2001

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, so I thought I would.  My
flatmate recently alerted me to the fact that the cover star on the
current issue of Caledonia magazine (for posh Scottish people) is a
certain Ms. I Campbell, of whom you may have heard.  I immediately dashed
down to my local newsagents, but found that they're not posh enough to
stock it.  I dashed over (well, ambled) to a newsagents in the New Town
and had a wee look at the three-page article, which can be summarised as
"she's got this band called The Gentle Waves, too".  Oh, and the
interviewer was surprised that she wasn't too twee to giggle at the
technical photographic term "ring-flash".  I imagine most people round
here would chortle uproariously at such a word.

Some non-content stuff:

Robin Stout recently overheard an old man telling his wee grandchild that
a million people live in Iceland.  I can divulge the astounding secret
that that's a *huge* overestimate.  The population of Iceland is only
about the same as that of Wolverhampton, England.

I know loads more tedious facts about the Nordic countries, but the only
thing I know about Wolverhampton is that it has the same population as
Iceland.  If you want to know more, ask your local Black Country expert
(if you can understand her accent).  Well, I assume it's not the *same*
population.  Maybe someone could try nipping quickly from Wolverhampton to
Reykjavik and seeing if one or the other seems strangely deserted.

Content again:

I was listening to TBWTAS this morning---I like to listen to B+S first
thing as I get up, it makes recovering-all-senses somewhat easier---and I
couldn't help thinking that the lyrics to Dirty Dream Number Two
*actually* sound like "could you put a name to someone else's *thighs*",
rather than the printed lyric "sigh".  Is this just a mistake on my part,
or is this what is actually on the record?  I know there are quite a few
places where the published lyrics differ from the recorded ones; I have
thought about being all geeky and compiling a webpage with them all on.
It would only be a few hours work, or rather, "work".

Not Content:

Robin (as above) also mentioned that the day of immersion heaters has
passed.  Not in my house, it hasn't.  Nor at my parents, where I usually
use up all their hot water by taking 73 bottles into the shower.

Someone *ages* ago asked if there really are disused stations on the
London Underground which the trains pass through, as per the book (and TV
series) "Neverwhere".  Indeed there are; a few examples being British
Museum, Aldwych and South Kentish Town.  John Betjeman wrote a nice little
short story about a commuter who gets off his train at South Kentish Town
by mistake, and has to sit on the deserted, unlit platform until the wee
small hours, when he gets rescued by the tunnel-cleaners.

Oh, that magazine article again.  *Before* any of you ask (including you,
Ken), the article did not feature, in any way, the words "arse", "lard",
or any combination or synonyms for the above.  I just thought I'd better
get that straightened out, otherwise it could lead to *months* of debate.

David Moore wanted someone to spill the beans about Peacock Johnson
appearing in internet chat.  If that was what I'm thinking of, wasn't it a
whole month ago?  That's *ages*!  I missed some (most?) of it, but I
probably still have the logs of what I saw somewhere.

Greg P said that House of Leaves gave him nightmares.  It gave me that
ominous feeling of "will I miss anything if I skip the rest of this page?"
My advice to anyone thinking of reading it: skip the bits printed in
Courier.  Ok, though, it's a scary *idea*.

One last thing: unlike thousands of you (it seems), I have never met any
pop stars.  The nearest I have come was one of my university tutors, who
said he used to be in a band called Revenge, back in the 1980s.  I've only
ever met one person who has heard of them, so it definitely doesn't count.
He is listed in "Rock Family Trees", though.

T'raa for now...

gneiss

--
Will Salt