Sinister: what I thought on the way to work... questions

Gordon gogron at xxx.uk
Tue Apr 17 21:23:04 BST 2001

'fold your hands child,
you walk like a peasant'
I wonder what it means: is vital information missing? Do peasants walk
with their hands unfolded; innocent and open-palmed, whilst us
*sophisticates* clench our fists in a grown-up manner? Is it the
exposure of a mis-directed directive? On another level, I've heard of
folded arms, but folded hands? How obscure. Is it a riddle? Nonsense?
Rhetorical enigma or a quote from a book: an artful snippet?
Relax, I suggest to myself. Just absorb what's there (I slurp coffee
from a flask and gaze out of the window). Imagine the birchwoods
described by Turgenev in *a Hunter's Sketches* or other landed Russians
writing of the rural set-up and the peasantry. Play the woodland notion
and Malaprop to 'pheasant': strutting ridiculous or resting under the
fold of its wing. Think also of the word 'child' and the fondness of a
parent as they walk side by side, the taller watching out for the
smaller; raising to silly mores, well-meant: the improving artifice and
progressive ideal. People like Lewis Grassic Gibbon (Scots writer)
thought progress was bad... is this what B&S are on about? Fair enough:
I wrote this in a speeding train with a plastic pen and a minidisc
providing the Belle & Sebastian and now it's in E-mail format... I like
progress!
Does anyone know what the title means? I thought I'd get that in before
any new stuff comes out. I looked up the whole phrase on sinister but
there were no matches found: was it instantaneously abbreviated?
Questions, questions, questions...
and what's the photo of the almost-mirror and the eyeliner? and is the
picture with musicians on the stairs all dressed-up a reference to that
film that starred Klaus Kinski's daughter in a gorilla outfit in a big
white clapboard house in, maybe...the Hamptons?

Sincerely,
Gordon

http://members.netscapeonline.co.uk/gogron/Gordon's/index.html
Once I have acquired manners and a cause, it is my aim to become a
gentleman anarchist.