Sinister: And only Kevin Costner can save the world...

Peter Carter p.carter at xxx.uk
Thu Apr 19 04:30:48 BST 2001

Mike (MIWinship at aol.com) said he got followed by celebrities... this
prompted me to remember a story from my past...

Me and my friend were going to a GYBE! gig... I was only just getting into
them at that point... the gig being the place I really found out how good
they are. When we got to Manchester (where the gig was) we found out that my
friend had lost his ticket and panicked, not knowing we could buy one at the
door. We tried buying a copy of the NME and ringing the hotline number for
the gig... but it didn't work. We walked around re-tracing our steps but
couldn't find it. While we were re-tracing our steps we saw two guys walking
around who seemed to be going everywhere we went. We joked that they were
following us.

A while later we decided the only thing to do was to hang around outside.
After about half and hour three guys came out, tow of them the guys we'd
seen before... stupidly we assumed they were something to do with the
management, told them what had happened and asked if we could buy tickets.
They said they'd put us on the guestlist. We stood around chatting for a
little while, till my friend said, "Hang on... are you the band", at which
point they said something like, "Smelly clothes, bottles of beer, Canadian
accents... of course we're the band". At this point me and my friend just
stood there, me saying the word 'wow!' in the most inane fashion possible,
for about a minute before walking of, stunned. We left for a while, to do
some shopping in Manchester and, about an hour later, as we were walking
through the same section we'd seen the GYBE! members before, we saw them
again, walking the exact same distance behind up, in the exact same place.
Anyway we went to the gig and it was brilliant. That's it really. Silly
story.

Oh, and I'd like to announce a complete the sentence competition. The task
it to complete the sentence:

"........................ and only Kevin Costner can save the world".

Entries can be sent to

p.carter at bathspa.ac.uk

or

onlykevincostnercansavetheworld at akooka.demon.co.uk

which is the address of the guy who thought up the idea... and,
incidentally, the guy who introduced me to B&S.

Admittedly the competition is not a blatant attempt to get free stuff... but
you can't have everything can you?

Peter NotMiller