Sinister: Sugar World

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Fri Apr 20 22:31:50 BST 2001

My editor is a fan of pop - I mean, of the pop charts.
The Hit Parade, the top five. He makes some degree of
common cause with those who proclaim in public that we
are living through - hold on to your trilbies - a
Golden Age Of Pop.

I'll let that last clause sink in a while.

Anyway, I occasionally ask him about his love of
contemporary pop, and sensibly he insists,

- I don't like *all* of it. It's *some* of it that's
good. Destiny's Child. The Sugababes.
- Who?
- The Sugababes. You'd like them. You've probably
heard them. If you worked in a place where the radio
played without ceasing, you'd hear them. You'll like
them. It's just great pop music.

Tonight I saw Top of the Pops. Really! A trio
appeared, singing to a record I'd heard before on the
radio. I figured that it might be Destiny's Child. At
last, a glimpse of the vaunted Destiny's Child. My
goodness, I've finally seen Destiny's Child.

No. It was the Sugababes themselves.

They were - I don't know, I don't know if I can find
the choice word. Can you? We could spread many words,
like muck, but they might not hit home, not convey
what this trio really are, how their record really
sounds.

Still, I've heard and seen them now. Now we know what
we're talking. There are no hiding places.

Enough. Silence is silver.