Sinister: Sugar World

Julie jules at xxx.cx
Fri Apr 20 07:30:08 BST 2001

I have a problem with people who don't get proper enjoyment out of music.  I
once knew a boy who would say that if music makes you happy, it's doing
something wrong.  Music must be sad!  When one hears music, one must be
prepared to brood, to ponder one's life and love!  Top 40 pop music under
this definition is UNACCEPTABLE.  If a song makes you smile, if a song makes
you wanna shake your booty and throw your hands up at me, well, it can't be
good!  When Britters sings "DON'T!  Don't let me be the last to know!"  God,
a tear just springs to my eye.

PF said!
> - The Sugababes. You'd like them. You've probably
> heard them. If you worked in a place where the radio
> played without ceasing, you'd hear them. You'll like
> them. It's just great pop music.

I agree with PF's boss, the Sugababes are great!  Not so great dancers
though, I saw them on Swedish tv once and they sat on stools most of the
time then stood up and wiggled during the instrumental part of Overload.
Their album is probably one of the most even I've heard from a top 40 band
in a long time.  I mean really, was anyone really thrilled by N Sync's cover
of More Than A Feeling?  Also the Sugababes are scooching a little into the
realm of r&b.

Then he said!
> Tonight I saw Top of the Pops. Really! A trio
> appeared, singing to a record I'd heard before on the
> radio. I figured that it might be Destiny's Child. At
> last, a glimpse of the vaunted Destiny's Child. My
> goodness, I've finally seen Destiny's Child.
>
> No. It was the Sugababes themselves.

I'm not sure what's going on in these paragraphs.  Is PF asserting that his
cave is the proper place to be?  Does he ever wander past a WH Smith on the
way to work and glimpse a magazine cover, flip past MTV by accident?  In
this day and age, there is no excuse for absence of pop culture knowledge.
It surrounds us, the only way to escape is to embrace, to filter.  There is
a girl in one of my classes who, when the professor and I would discuss
Buffy, would loudly assert that she had no television.
She reminded me a little of Stephen Dedalus, in the least ironic way
possible.
Where would Salman Rushdie be today without Bono???  Salman Rushdie loves
pop culture.  Thanks to Bono, he's not dead, he's dating a hot model chick,
and he wrote a book about rock n roll!  And everyone still thinks he's a
great guy. Er, cept the Iranians.

PF, pick up a copy of Smash Hits!  Even our favorite band Belle & Sebastian
gets a mention sometimes!

> Enough. Silence is silver.

But knowledge is GOLD!!  (Destiny's Child's outfits on the Brits were also
gold...and green)

xoxo
Julie