Sinister: Wigs Out

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Sat Apr 21 13:01:29 BST 2001

Hi Belle And Sebastian Fans,

PINK WIG
Thursday evening went to the Peacock Manifesto event at Borders in Oxford
Street. Peacock, Evil Bob & Bev rolled up at 6 pm in costume, looked a bit
freaky walking in off the street. Peacock looking painfully thin, slicked
back grey hair, long droopy moustache & yellow check trousers. Bev a
symphony in pink from her heels to her wig, sporting a vertiginous cleavage.
Evil Bob a bit nondescript (apart from the hairnet, I guess).

The programme was pretty much as Mr Hewitt described, Stuart David couldn't
show up as he's hiding out somewhere tropical from Peacock because Peacock
wants to do him for nicking his ideas & putting them in a book & not giving
him any credit (this message communicated by video) then the 3 appear to put
their side of the story.  Evil Bob was sniffing glue (well, a Pritt Stick
actually), they played Peacock's version of Rhinestone Cowboy (not a patch
on Splat!'s Wichita Lineman), Bob's of Miss You & Bev sang Sugar Town. I
thought Bev was the star of the show, with much better comic timing than the
guys. A laugh. Like the book really, quite amusing and over in an hour.

I can't remember all the questions: maybe the funniest was someone asking
Evil Bob if he had heard of Ena Sharples.

They signed copies of the book and I asked Peacock to forge the tit-lickers
in mine too, which he did very accurately.

TWINS, NO WIGS
Then off to the Shepherds Bush Empire (God, I've attended some shitty gigs
there!) to see the Scottish Guitar Army. Arrived in time to see MUM. Never
heard them before but got quite into it by the last number. Twins pretty and
not so scary as on the FISHYCLAP cover.

smell THE glove (SHAVED HEADS)
Next up Mogwai. Lots of soft/LOUD, the loud very. A cello player with a very
distinctive tone. I think they're taking this Spinal Tap thing a bit far,
because they must have amps that go up to 15. My ears haven't recovered yet.
Not the most moving Mogwai gig I've been to, some of the new material
doesn't stand up to being performed at such length.

NO WIG/ONE TWIN
Anyay, a brass section came on stage for Secret Pint. Talking of wearing
wigs on album covers, I didn't have a very good view, but Mick, was that you
up there, playing trumpet with the bloke from V-Twin whose name I don't
know?

EC WAS HERE
Don Pedro mentioned Dave Edmunds version of Girl's Talk recently (BTW, I
have the album, would you like a copy? :) ) Does anyone have a tape of the
1978 (?) Rockpile BBC session when they played that, I Knew The Bride &
Heart Of The City? I'd love to hear that again.

Joe, I *really* hope you didn't mean what you said about having written your
last song.

Love & hugs to all,

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK