Sinister: Miss Smila's Feeling For Ribena

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Tue Apr 24 12:03:47 BST 2001

I'm on Ribena strike until The Pinefox agrees to write some more songs. Not
one drop of Ribena will pass my lips until then. Although I might dribble
some down between my bumcheeks if I get really desperate. It depends how
long he holds out really. When AIDS first started to become popular, people
were advised to dribble cognac down their partner's back as a substitute for
"penetration". I wonder if it ever caught on? I suppose the authorities were
in a bit of a tight corner. The Pinefox has to write more songs, otherwise
it places too much pressure on the other Foxglove. He might crack.

Looking at the big picture, pop's effect on global culture has been
virtually nil. The Khmer Rouge didn't come to power because of Purple Haze,
Nelson Mandela wasn't freed because of Free Nelson Mandela, asians weren't
dubbed because of Asian Dub Foundation. Pop played no real part in these
events. In political terms, all pop has given us is a bunch of neatly
packaged platitudes. That's entertainment. We had a nice time listening to
it, that's all.

Salman Rushdie's appearance on stage with U2 had nothing to do with selling
more books or more records. It was something to do with freedom of
expression. Rock on. I'm going to read that Ground Beneath Her Feet book and
report back. I like Rushdie's pop journalism. He introduced me to the
expression "fuck me high heels", in an article about the Rolling Stones.
This has made shopping for footwear so much easier. In a recent piece about
Shaggy I think I spotted a mistake. Not a pop mistake, a grammar mistake.
But I wouldn't stake my life on it. I wouldn't stick my neck out.

I think Magnetic Fields sound a lot like Velvet Underground.

The Age of Consent was so-called because the members of Bronski Beat were
all gay, and they wanted the age of consent lowered so that they could take
better advantage of their new-found popularity. Shall I delete this bit,
Linda?

A book I'm reading now is The Legendary Joe Meek. Chas out of Chas 'n' Dave
is in it. He has a surprisingly liberal attitude to homosexuality. Which
begs the question, are all comedy cockneys gay? It gives a new meaning to Up
the Elephant and Round the Castle, doesn't it? Or was that the original
meaning?

Thanks for all the Peacock Johnson reports. Sounds GRATE.

Sister Disco