Sinister: middle kid

Hannah Brown h.brown6 at xxx.uk
Tue Apr 24 12:19:20 BST 2001

(i cant get it on the library)

I kicked a stone and had a thought. Scuffed another stone and thought
again. Throwing one into the road i noticed the familiar cracks and shapes
that you see ever morning and every evening, they're recognisable but you
never mention them, they are just always there. Some of them look like
islands or animals, if you moved away you wouldn't recall them you would
just notice new ones.

i'd walked this stretch too many times and knew far too much about what
went on here. I could calculate that if i left my house at 6:55 in the
morning i would cross and old man walking his dog by the post box. I would
reach the bus stop at 7:00 hours to be greeted with the company of a rather
over affectionate business couple and a ginger accountant who was on the
verge of some kind of upset. i also knew that if the man with the dog past
me at the corner, i was highly likely to miss my bus.

It had been a good 5 months since i had been here but everything was
horribly similar. The houses and the colour of their bricks,the shitty bus
service and me; i hadnt really changed and that pisses me off. There was
one difference though, the absence of some local folk around my age, who
seemed to be on my wavelength ( a rare occurance around these parts). You
see, they had talent and were in a band, and now they're supporting the
likes of Ocean colour Scene. It looks like they're gonna be massive, so i
pretty much know that i wont see them staggering around these street again,
because if they've got any sense they would have hired a van and be livin
it "large" somewhere else, anywhere else but this place.

I saw them afew times at a college band night where i sneeked in some
alcohol, which is perhaps why they cancelled it the following year and at
the charlotte. They always had the energy of a brass band on speed and
seemed to know where they were going, i wish i could say the same.

(At this point i went to bed)