Sinister: In The Street

Youn J. Noh ynoh at xxx.edu
Wed Apr 25 02:34:12 BST 2001

Hiya Sinister,

Looks like it's gonna be a week of lovely weather here - below 80 during
the day and cooling off to the 50's at night.  I thought we were gonna
steamroller straight into summer, but now we're walking briskly and
watching things grow before the heat overtakes us and we'll just have to
loll about.

Today I saw a girl in a lavender coat made of light wool, or maybe a sort
of tweed.  There was a slit in the back and when she walked I could see
the olive green lining.  It was a really nice coat.  It looked good on
her.  She had naturally curly hair done up with one of those clips.

Yesterday I walked by Mirror Lake and saw a really frightful sight.
Several ducks were astride another duck and they were pecking its head,
fiercely.  I hope that isn't how they mate.  Then I saw a couple kissing
goodbye in a car.  The kiss could be described as a pecking sort of kiss.
I looked away immediately, but I couldn't help notice.

The day before that I saw a dead cat at an intersection in a residential
area, so not a very wide street.  It was lying at the dead center of the
street, as if someone had placed it there, with its front legs splayed
apart.

> Looking at the big picture, pop's effect on global culture has been
> virtually nil. The Khmer Rouge didn't come to power because of Purple Haze,
> Nelson Mandela wasn't freed because of Free Nelson Mandela, asians weren't
> dubbed because of Asian Dub Foundation.

Meester Miller, what we wanna know is this:  Did Atari Teenage Riot
improve anyone's score in Ever Quest?  I know about that game because my
brother used to play it.  Maybe he still does.  I'm very bad at video
games, so I don't really ever play them.  I just move the controls about
randomly for a while 'til my brother loses all patience with me and pushes
me aside.

And what about Cornershop?  Did they help any struggling young couples
start a cornershop or off-license, as they're called over there?  I heard
that in New York many liquor stores are owned by Korean couples.  But
that's just the opposite of an off-license, isn't it?  I once got lost on
the way to an off-license.  It was very embarrassing.

You know, it's the life of the people we're interested in (a samurai is
not one of 'the people')...

I've been to Aberdeen before.  That's where Ailsa is from, I think.  I was
only at the train station though.  Scotland is nice cos it's cool and
there are lotsa lakes and trees.  I wish I had gone to Edinburgh and seen
the university and all places they sing about in B & S songs.  I wish I
had stood around longer on Byres Road like that character does in the
first book of the New York Trilogy.  (It wasn't Byres Road though.)  I
coulda stood outside Hillhead Station waiting for Sebastian to come back
from meeting Isabelle or stood outside Iceland waiting for Stuart to
choose a fish pie for his dinner.  I wouldn't have stalked them.  Only
said hello.  Or not even that.  Just stood anonymously, not really there,
you know.  Oh well.

Farewell Farewell
Youn