Sinister: The Playgoers of the Western Wirral

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Wed Apr 25 14:31:17 BST 2001

1.
sinister talks a lot about pop, a fair bit about film
and TV, but not so much about what Susan Sontag once
called 'Going to theatre, etc'. And I don't blame it,
for I don't talk about that stuff neither, I mean
either. But when the other day's Guardian announced a
new production of The Playboy of the Western World, I
was oddly interested. I looked closer. Do I mean, more
closely? It turned out to be in Liverpool. Hm. It
turned out to be directed by Robert Delamere.

At that point I practically spilled my shredded wheat
all over the floor. I mean, there's only one Robert
Delamere.

2.
Speaking of which, I was going to have a lot to say
about football, but then I left yesterday's Guardian
on a train.

3.
Nobody - not even my editor - has mentioned the way, I
mean, the fact, that Elvis Costello called the Byrds
'modernist' on Walk On By two weeks ago.

Sometimes I wonder what my editor is up to. He's
probably in some garrulous restaurant or other. Today
I received tons of photographs of him looking young ,
dynamic and beautiful. I was so jealous I burned them
immediately.

4.
The geezer Miller returned.

>>> I'm on Ribena strike until The Pinefox agrees to
write some more songs. Not one drop of Ribena will
pass my lips until then.

I believe you.

>>> The Pinefox has to write more songs, otherwise
it places too much pressure on the other Foxglove. He
might crack.

He might. Perhaps he has?

That would explain it.

>>> Salman Rushdie's appearance on stage with U2 had
nothing to do with selling more books or more records.
It was something to do with freedom of expression.
Rock on.

I'm glad you said that.

>>> I'm going to read that Ground Beneath Her Feet
book and report back.

I love the way that Miller's world is a world in which
one 'reports' on things. It's just one instance of
what's distinctive and funny about him.

>>> I think Magnetic Fields sound a lot like Velvet
Underground.

Is that a joke?

>>> Which begs the question, are all comedy cockneys
gay?

No, no, sorry, that's not right. You mean it *raises*
the question - it provokes us to ask the question. To
beg the question is something different.

>>> Thanks for all the Peacock Johnson reports. Sounds
GRATE.

Rubbish. It sounds rubbish.

I hope the geezer Miller is not offended by that
semi-grammatical issue above. I think his mail was
fabulous.
Especially the bit about the Pinefox.

5.
If Llaura Llew doesn't return soon, I'll have to
dissect a Dorothy Parker poem in public.

6.
If Mooro doesn't return soon, I'll have to take George
Harrison to court.

Hampton Court.

7.
If Cookie doesn't return soon, I'll have to learn to
play 'I Need Two Heads' so that it sounds even worse
than the original. A tough call, I know, but I think I
can meet it.