Sinister: Listening to you I get the music, Gazing at you I get the heat

Genevieve Wesley jiffy_popper at xxx.com
Wed Aug 1 00:38:07 BST 2001

Dearest Sinister,

I think I have exploded with Belle and Sebastian ness at least a thousand
times in the past while. So much to fill me! But yet...they are still so
untouchable and far away. Another year passes, some more concerts...and I am
still here, living vicariously through you. So, there was a bit of jealousy
when reading all the wonderful posts, but the sheer delight soon overwhelms
and makes me smile. Just some of those random moments seemed so perfect,
frolicking with them on the beach at the one show, you will have that memory
forever. Oh, it's not just the reviews, but the abundance of pictures, those
little arms that swallowed the tennis balls, the Arms Of Sex that just won't
quit. Arms of Sex everywhere! I can't even get started on the cape and
pyrotechnics display or I will simply die. Now I can admire the perfect
heart-shaped face even in MIME makeup, and I am frustrated, frustrated. The
elfin charm radiates. The concerts just sounded so fun too, with the medals,
the "hand-jiving to Legal Man" as one listee wrote and invitations for
singing onstage, wow Lorraine. I saw Wilson Pickett and he invited someone
on stage, but he was a bit more nudge-nudge-wink-wink, "My, my, YOU a
healthy one, girl!"

I bought Jonathan and David. This is old news, I know. There has been 100
reviews of that already. I love Jonathan and David. I enjoy Mick's shoulder
on the back photo, peeking out with insolence. I feel like Jonathan myself,
Belle and Sebastian went on to great heights and a whirlwind tour but
Genevieve never really recovered. We were studying Jonathan and David in
school when that was released. I just can't break the connection. I love the
'it's not like we'll never know love part' I just burst! I love Stevie's low
voice, and then Struan comes in and it's just like oh my! Someone said
Struan should sing the Song of Solomon for some smut content. I think
someone said that. We had to study that too. Do you think it's beautiful if
your beloved's hair is like a herd of goats? I don't...I like the parts
where it gets to the tasting of all the secret fruits of the garden, your
bosoms are like pomegranates, sing it Struanne sing it. I remember, not too
long ago, someone was saying it was unfair of the double standard, that no
one complains of Struan's girly voice, but he doesn't HAVE a
widdly-pooh-goo-goo girly voice! It has strengthened no much, compared to
the little voice on Tigermilk's The State I Am In, but again, that could be
because my tape was the baby of the baby of the baby (and so on) the of
original vinyl. But still! It's pure and shining, served for me on a golden
platter. I love when Belle and Sebastian say 'married' in their songs, it's
always the third person in the song left out, some tragic love triangle,
like in You're Just a Baby, the girl has to marry some nasty brute, you just
know it, but at least she can have one last night with her true love.

Also, I cannot claim clairvoyance, but I remember a while ago, David Moore
saying something about B&S resemblance to The Zombies in a post, and then I
dreamed they did Time of The Season, and then they did. But that is also old
news. I had all sorts of wishes to covers...they never did Tainted Love, did
they? I know they did some stones covers already, but Under My Thumb, that
would be good, or if they did The Love You Save by the Jackson 5, Struan
could be Michael, and Stevie could by the other one, and they could spell
out the letters in the air, with the "S, Is for save it!" "T, Is for take it
slow!" part, with the girls doing the 'doo de doo' background bits. Maybe if
the whole crowd had shouted a request for Baby Got Back, everyone could work
themselves into a fever over Isobel's bum, sing it's praises, and then be
done with it. The obsession would be exercised from our bodies, and we would
feel refreshed, but until then, I just don't know. Oh, just try and pretend
you wouldn't want to hear Struan shout out Shake that Healthy Butt, you
can't fool me.

Another thing from a while ago, whoever said it, it is weird how similar
Summer Wine is to Dog On Wheels, in front of my face all this time, and I
never noticed. I think Summer Wine is just about the best song to sing aloud
to. I always sing it really loud when I do the dishes and am alone in the
house, creeping the neighbors out when then see me flapping around with the
big yellow gloves. There is another song that reminds me of something, or
maybe I am just way off, but when I hear the beginning of my Girls Got
Miraculous technique, I want to sing...the sun ain't gonna shine
anymore...but I'm not even sure where that line is from, an oldie, I think
by the walker brothers.

I really have to stop, but it's just because I'm so excited, as I finally
get to come overseas to Scotland and London in about a week.

Love,
Genevieve