Sinister: And if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes much more like prunes than rhubarb does.

m.e. curtin mecurtin at xxx.ca
Wed Aug 1 00:56:42 BST 2001

Yes.
Hello.

I've attempted posting again several times lately, but I've learned from
my mistakes, and so whenever I start writing I censor whatever it is I
think I should say.  I end up censoring the whole thing and thinking, "oh,
bother!"  Well, this time I feel this strange compulsion to write, I'm
sure to disastrous effect, and I can't stop my fingers from typing.  So,
here goes nothing!

So said obsession is touring western North America.  ARGHHHHH!!!!!  The
gods of concert going have clearly aligned against
me.  Truly
. Vancouver?  This is surely cruelty.  That's 4 provinces
away.  Do you realize how many mines, grain elevators and MEC stores away
that is?  Certainly I'll be martyred for this blow to the esteem.  The
only consolation is the strange choice of venue, which I find to be
strangely
. strange.  You know they just want to fandangle a stopover in
Hawaii
.

Additionally, has anyone else heard the new (I assume) EPtypesinglething
by The Dears?  "Pop Noir Romantique" or something intimidating like
that.  I quite enjoy it.  "Heathrow or Deathrow" is very
addictive.  They're excellent live - even without a proper sound check.

I wonder if I'm the only listee who harbours an unhealthy obsession with
words and grammar.  Although I've probably already committed grievous
grammatical errors in this single post alone, I can't help but memorize
obscure grammar points and revel in them.  For example, when people say
'from whence', when really it should only be 'whence'.  I obsess over
this.  I don't know why, seeing as there are probably fewer than 10 people
worldwide who actually use this term, even if incorrectly.  It should be
noted that Morrissey says "from whence" in Cemetry Gates.  DAMN
HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sorry for this boring bit.  I'm not really this odd,
I'm just simple-minded.

On a similar line, though, I was reading the dictionary today, as I'm
(sadly) apt to do, and I happened to notice the following entry:

DORK n. slang 1.Penis 2.Stupid or contemptible person.

Um, call me naïve, but I never knew such a phallic definition existed for
this word.  It upset me to think what I've really been calling people all
these years
. am I the only person to whom this is a surprise?

On another note, do any of you remember (no doubt painfully) a movie
called something like "Oxford Blues" or some equally marketable title like
that?  I was thinking about it the other day and it really made me
laugh.  It's truly a paragon of modern filmmaking.  It details the trials
and tribulations of a young, American 'hell-raiser' who ends up attending
Oxford for some wildly unbelievable reason.  Amidst many formulaic
challenges, he manages to find himself the proverbial love-interest.  I
believe the climax of the film is the emotionally charged arch-nemesis
versus pathological protagonist race, wherein our hero gets off to a
fantastic lead, only to have his blade break off in mid-race.  Are our
hopes dashed?  Of course not!  Luckily our hero has the amazing capacity
to mend the offending blade while still on the water and come back from
several hundred metres to beat that pastylittlegoodfornothing kid.  Truly
he is a modern day hero.  What an inspirational piece.  I don't know why I
brought that up.  It seemed mildly important at the time.  Sorry.

Finally, (not that any of you care) I seem to have developed a pinball
fetish.  I had never played until last week, when my friend introduced me
to this devilish game.   I'm not very good but I'm obsessed!  It was just
a harmless thing at first
now I crave the game.  I sneak out of the house
at all hours to paddle away my days in the dim, dank, pop-encrusted cavern
of fortune known as the arcade.  It's terrible.  My parents ask me where
I'm going when I slink out of the house, pinball bound, and I bark
back: "I'm walking the dog!!!!!!!!"  As I slam the door I hear behind me,
meekly: "But, Marybeth, we don't have a dog!"  It's criminal.  It's
vicious.  I'm afraid I may start listening to The Who soon.  Oh dear!

I'll be quiet for another several months now.  Thanks to everyone for
lovely posting.  Keep up the good work.

Yours, grammatically,
Marybeth

P.S. Bonus points for naming the subject line's source.  If I'm ambitious
enough I might even give you a prize!

P.P.S. Sorry for all those ellipses.  Filthy habit.