Sinister: killing spree

jarkko frantila chamomile1 at xxx.com
Wed Aug 1 09:40:46 BST 2001

Daer list. Only 18 days and then I'll be 24. If you want to send me some
presents, please mail me and I'll give you my adress. Things I'd like to
receive: Playstation 2 (and that new ISS football when it's released), a
ticket to a far away land, some booze, money, fags, peace on earth, nice
t-shirts, those funny gadgets they sell on TV, money, some albums by Ride
that I still haven't got, all the episodes of "Sledgehammer" on video, more
cd's/vinyls, money, a free trip to London to see Hefner in Sheperds Bush
Empire, all those cd's from Nine Inch Nails that I sold a few years ago (14,
including all the albums and almost all of their singles that they had
released back then), seven little dwarfs, "Life After God" by Douglas
Coupland, Snow White, and a framed photo of me copulating a monkey.

And only 30 days 'till The Eels are playing here! Been listening to "Daisies
of the Galaxy" quite a lot lately. I don't think it's as good as
"Electro-shock Blues", but I don't have that one. ESB is one DARK album. And
also very difficult to listen to. As some of you might know, Mr E. decided
to make an album about the deaths of his mother and sister, and the songs
aren't too cheery, as you can imagine. Random lyrics:

"But waking up is harder when you wanna die" (Elizabeth on the Bathroom
Floor)
"Going to your funeral now and feeling I could scream" (Going to the Funeral
Part 1)
"Yesterday was suckin' and tomorrow's looking bad" (Hospital Food)
"I was at a funeral the day I realized/ I wanted to spend my life with you"
(P.S You Rock My World)

If a person sings about death, how should I react? I don't have any
experience in things like that (thank god), and he did write songs about it,
so I should be ok with whatever he is saying, but... I don't know. It feels
like knowing _too much_ about someones personal life, like reading his
diary. A bit like "The Chalet Lines": we know things like these happen, but
people just don't talk about them. And think about it: Since E. from the
Eels has been very open about the death of his mother and sister... What do
you think his friends and relatives have to say? "Man, the song where you
sing about your mother dying of cancer, it's brilliant!"

While listening to "Daisies of the Galaxy" on my way to work, I always put
down my book when "It's a motherfucker" comes out of my walkman.

"It's a Motherfucker
Being here without you
thinking 'bout the good times
thinkin 'bout the bad
And I won't ever be the same
It's a Motherfucker
Getting through a Sunday
Talking to the walls just me again
But I won't ever be the same
I won't ever be the same
It's a Motherfucker
How much I understand
The meaning that you need someone
I could take you be the hand
And you won't ever be the same
You won't ever be the same"

If someone sings about death, am I really allowed to identify with what
he/she is saying, even though the lyrics take on a completely different
meaning in my head?

Morals. Phew.

-JF