Sinister: Put the Book Back on the Shelf

Brian Pennington cellophanesky at xxx.net
Thu Aug 2 01:54:46 BST 2001

Hmm,
	One would think that leaving an electronic mailing list would be a
very easy task. I've done it numerous times before. I was going to
simply unsubscribe and have that be that, quietly fading away. But for
some reason it just didn't feel right. So I just thought I'd let you
know goodbye.

	I'd really rather not get into why I'm leaving, if only because
doing so always sounds critical or vindictive, or at the very least a
little too wistful. I certainly haven't stopped listening to the band,
nor would I ever, I should expect. I will say that a large part of my
staying on the list this long involved hearing about tour news. And I
guess I got my wish, but as it seems there won't be any of relevance to
me for a long time to come, staying on seems a bit silly.

	I don't want to come across like I'm angry at the band or the tour
organizers for not coming to New York or any of the places on the East
Coast. I consider myself lucky and I have seen them already, and even
met some of them. Everyone should be so lucky. It's only that it's a bit
frustrating to be dismissed. It was frustrating when I lived hours from
the nearest place a band would even consider playing, and it's worse now
because I know it's feasible for a band to play here, whereas playing in
somewhere in the middle of the countryside is obviously not. I know I
personally have flown halfway across the continent to see Belle &
Sebastian, and driven some on top of that just to see them a second
time. I feel it was worth it, but I don't find myself in the monentary
position to do it a second time.

	Anyway, where was I? Well, I just want to say thanks to all the
people I met from Sinister and #sinister. I'm sure I'll probably run
into a few of you again. And to those I never met, thanks for making me
smile every now and again. I'm sure I won't be able to resist peeking
into the archives.

Goodbye.

Brian Pennington | cellophanesky at mac.com | AIM: aVespertineDream
Semi-regular observations: <http://mcmcmc.scribble.nu>
the Cellophane Sky: <http://www.mp3.com/thecellophanesky/>
Sandcastle Records: <http://www.indiepages.com/sandcastle/>
"Better a tear of truth than smiling lies." - Duncan Browne