Sinister: (I won't get to) Go West

Matthew Henderson lokar20 at xxx.com
Thu Aug 2 23:38:54 BST 2001

Well, the board is just bustling these past few days with all the exciting
talk of the West Coast dates (or the exclusion of the East coast).  I don't
think we should be angry or jealous or anything negative.  We should just be
happy that those in the Western US of A get to experience something as great
as a Belle and Sebastian concert.  Sure, I would love to go, but I have to
work on my grades, so I can't.  Plus, I'm sure they will eventually come
around.  They've been given a great gift, let them have it I say.
Personally, I don't blame our favorite band from keeping trips to America
short.  I wouldn't want to come over here either.  The disillusioned youth
of America rears it's ugly head again.

And I feel it is also necessary to give props to Mr. Robertson for having to
deal with all us f***ed in the head psycho fans.  I wonder how many death
threats he has recieved...none from me of course.

I saw Radiohead on Monday in "Hot"lanta.  Did anyone else go?  i saw a girl
in the distance had a B+S shirt on.  My B+S shirt sparked two completely
separate conversations amongst the people standing around me, 50% of which I
participated in.  Some attractive girls saw my shirt and said "oh, he's got
a belle and sebastian shirt on" and then started talking to some other guys
about belle and sebastian.  Then some other guys started talking to me about
them, but I just nodded mostly and kept quiet..as usual.

I wish I had jump suits and sunglasses like the Beta Band's drummer.  That
was awesome.  And kudos to Kid Koala for sampling the Monty Python and the
Holy Grail theme.

The Virgin in New Orleans is having a big British Music celebration.  On one
of the racks was PJ Harvey.  I thought she was American.  I know she lives
in England, but does that count?  They also had the new Criterion
La'venturra double disc set on sale (yipee!).

I'm knee deep in Pet Shop Boys reissues right now, and I'm loving it!  Only
one left and my collection will be complete.

All this talk of White Stripes prompted me to go order the album from my
local record store.  Don't let me down sinister.  Is anyone going to the
show in New Orleans in September?

Somebody mentioned the Eels a while ago.  Electro-Shock Blues is depressing,
but I think it has an uplifting ending.  It has some of the most depressing
lyrics I've ever heard as well:

"my name's elizabeth/
my life is piss and shit"

Normally I cringe at such lyrics, but there's a certain dignity in the way
they are done.  That and he actually has a reason to be so sad.  The Eels
are better than most bands, and they don't try to sell records by exploiting
depressed 16 year olds like most bands (stabbing westard has made THREE
albums about the guy breaking up with his girlfriend).  He also mentioned
the song "It's a Monster-Trucker(that's really the wal-mart version I saw
once)" and I just thought I'd add that I found out my (ex)girlfriend lied to
me listening to that song.

The point of this post was...hell.  I forgot.  I had one when I started,
seriously.

-matt