Sinister: Rule it out!

Julie jules at xxx.cx
Fri Aug 3 13:51:20 BST 2001

You know, the times when I've had the opportunity to agree with Brian
Pennington have been few and far between.
I wasn't going to say anything about this whole west coast tour thing,
because I didn't really care that much.  But this email from Neil Robertson
pissed me off subconsciously, as I woke up this morning annoyed.
Belle & Sebastian have very rarely acted like professionals, and their fans
have passed it off as charming.  Oh, they won't be photographed, isn't that
cute!  But the people Neil's email was directed to were not the NME, they
were the fans who have been buying imports, flying to the UK for festivals,
and crouched over their computers listening to Peel Sessions for years on
end.  But to wait for ages for news of a tour, and then to be answered with
a chiding "Just wait your turn!" is a little fucking idiotic.  One half
assed mini tour in 1998 where half the dates were cancelled does not a good
excuse to blow off more than half a country make.  If you can't afford an
east coast tour, or you have no time, or you just don't WANT to because you
spent a few weeks there not long ago working on the Todd Solondz thing
(without scheduling any shows), say that.  But don't play the fucking
martyr, Neil, it's  not becoming.  Clearly you are shocked that those of us
who saw the band several years ago, or possibly stood in the venue waiting
for a show that would never happen, would dare to ask for more shows.  Oh,
but we have to wait while the rest of the world gets graced with the
presence of Belle & Sebastian.  How considerate of you to play for the good
people of Iceland.  (I noted that the entire center of the United States and
Canada was omitted from Neil's list.  Really, if you're going to make sure
everyone gets a turn, don't forget Bolivia, and India, and fucking
Minneapolis.)  It is painfully apparent here that touring for Belle &
Sebastian is not a matter of satisfying fans, it is a matter of convenience
for the band, and where the band feels like going.  Which, once again, is
fine, if you're just going to be up front about it.  But that email was not
a reassurance in any way to those of us on the east coast, it's a kick in
the teeth.  Just to get things straight.
This email from Neil Robertson is the biggest bunch of defensive garbage
I've ever seen from a supposed professional in my life.  And I'm insulted.
Which is irrelevant, but shouting about it made me feel a little better.

-Julie