Sinister: Belle and Sebastian bomb east coast - NYC, Philly in ruins

James Gilmer grey7 at xxx.net
Fri Aug 3 16:14:36 BST 2001

Hello Sinister Children, and at times, the children moniker is extremely
appropriate.

Paul went and said this:

"Christ, you'd think that B&S were going to bomb any cities they weren't
playing in. They aren't a Public Limited Company and "we", the self
appointed fans, have no reason to dictate their behaviour. So we buy their
records, doens't give us a mandate to have a go at them or the management"

Hush Paul, no one likes logic being brought into an arguement.

I don't mean to be harsh, but there's a reason a bunch of tossers say things
like this about the list : "sick posse of f**ked in the head psycho-fans".

Here's the thing, the band doesn't owe us a thing. No artist owes a thing to
their fans or the public, that's how you end up with poxy Backstreet Boys
albums clogging the system. No, if I was Stuart I'd lift two fingers to the
air and say fuck it all and go curl up with a book and a pretty girl.

Neil came off as a professional and decent minded chap who was letting us
know not to get our hopes up for the east coast, which was fine and decent
of him to do. He wasn't offensive in the least, and even apologized to the
people of Toronto and Philly, while still pointing out that the band simply
couldn't satisfy all their fans spread across the world. They're touring,
some will see them, some won't. It also wasn't a press release, but an
informal mail to the fans, so I really don't think he was out-of-line at
all.

Hell, maybe B&S *don't* like their fans (I seriously doubt that's the case,
they probably do get a bit tired of the obsessives though), maybe they
bloody well despise them. It doesn't matter. Why should it? If they put out
music you like, brilliant. If not, find another band to obsess over. Christ,
it's as bad as people bitching because they don't sound exactly like they
did on Tigermilk anymore.

I'm sure our List Honey has a bit of a headache from all this negativity
already, so I hope poor Honey has a nice lay down and a cup of tea and is
not too annoyed with us. Cheers Honey, we appreciate what you do for us,
even when we are a bit unruley.

My suggestion is to take a deep breath, step back and realize it's just a
band that makes some nice music and not the center of your life (if it is
the center of your life, seek professional help) and find a pretty girl or
shy boy (whichever's your taste) and do many rude and heathen things with
them.

As I'm typing this bloody thing I look at my inbox to see:

"Brit-award winners Belle & Sebastian could have a stunning new singer
in their line-up - Hollywood sex bomb Angelina Jolie."

That is nothing less than brilliant, if only because Sinister people all
over the globe just shat themselves.

Chip went on to say:

"It would sum up Angelina perfectly and Belle & Sebastian would be
the band to carry it off."

Yes, Wild Thing probably is a perfect song for her, anyone who snogs her
brother on TV and reports in a interview that she likes bringing knives into
the bedroom...well, that song's right up her ally.

"They ignore fashion trends and image, opting instead for their Jesus
sandals, librarian v-necks and untended hair-dos."

Are we talking about the same band then?

That's just brilliant that is, even if the article turns out to be complete
rubbish and just taking the piss.

Be Sinister brothers and sisters...

Jim

"I haven't feel geeky or dumb since I was 17. I don't feel marginalised or
outmoded and neither should anyone else in this thriving, multiplex society.
When will successful, creative, intelligent people stop thinking of
themselves as childlike outsiders and start engaging with the real
high-stakes world? Wake up Fanboy! Wake up Fangirl! Do you want to rule the
world? "- Grant Morrison