Sinister: She will make a beautiful fossil

Brier Random brier at xxx.com
Sat Aug 4 08:44:56 BST 2001

Back from a half-summer lost to find it's August.  Does anyone know where I
put June and July?  Cos they were just here a minute ago.... wait.... did I
put them down while I was on the phone walking to the bathroom?  Well,
they're gone now.  Gurls make the time go by so quickly and so slowly, don't
they?  They take your time and shake it up in the cups of their hands and
put it back in your lap and you don't know quite what happened.  You'd think
the constant repetition of the 2nd Tindersticks album would slow things
along.  But no.  August comes in without even knocking.

Things I haven't got around to mentioning in the past 3 months:

*After first realizing, like almost everyone else, that Jonathan David was
an awful song with miserable vocals, I correctly some weeks later realized
that it is one of the nicest songs they've done lately.  Sparkling singing,
heartbreakingly hopeful story, inspired video (from what I could see via my
choppy-ass 56 modem).  And I don't think the guitar solo on Loneliness is
exactly a flaccid unit.  It's there if you listen.  Is there anyone else out
there who adds the phrase "On the tube" after "When we're on stage..." when
singing along?  I didn't think so.

*Stephen Malkmus's solo album is growing on me.  I'm fronting a Pavement
cover band here in Santa Barbara at the moment, so of course I'm partial to
his stuff with them, but I think I actually like the Stephen album better
than Pavement's final one.

*I'd like to announce that Hannah is the sweetheart of sweethearts,
according to my calculations.  The two homemade B&S t-shirts that she sent
me were definately early stuffers of my stocking, if you'll forgive the
disgusting imagery.  Unabashed public thanks to her doll-like ways.

*Anyone compiled the lyrics to the Peel Session yet?  The only thing I can't
get is the line in "My Girl's Got Miraculous Technique" (which is the best
song of the lot) which sounds like "Pee-pee, I made a bill" and comes right
before "I got my clothes dry cleaned.."  Any ideas?  Hell, maybe it IS
"pee-pee i made a bill".

*I've got my L.A. tickets and am working on San Fran.  Sorry to all those in
other parts of North America for feeling bad that they don't get a show.
We're just in the right place at the right time.  It's an up-side to living
in California.  The down-sides are sunny balmy weather, wide beaches,
members of the opposite sex walking around wearing very little clothing....
wait-- never mind.

(It's always touchy, though, debating whether an artist owes anything to
those who appreciate his art.)
You gotta figure that he's given us a lot more than the average fuck you
pass on the street.

*Kirsten:  Your sock puppet idea was sick indeed, but marvelously lovely
too.

*In the "Whither Goest Thou?" department:   Joan of Dark, List Dom Lisa???
Mixing memory and desire, perchance?

*Pray for some new tee-shirt designs on the West Coast tour.

I haven't forgotten
and you haven't forgotten
Let's forget together someday
These days I remain,

~Brier

www.brier.homestead.com

"And I squander your love, it's the biggest kick I ever got."
               -Tindersticks

.