Sinister: don't you want me?

Dirty Vicar dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Sun Aug 5 00:29:21 BST 2001

Hello,

I thought I'd mail again before my existence was forgotten.

I went to see some bands last night. They were Pram, Future Pilot AKA, and
The Jimmycake. The Jimmycake are a local band, playing loud avant music with
lots of people onstage. Very enjoyable. They have a record called "Brains"
which is likeable but less hardcore.

Future Pilot AKA meanwhile reminded us of early Cornershop - shambolic
can-do multiculturalist rock. The way the vocalist's accent kept drifting
between Glasgow, Jamaica, and Bangalore was endearing.

Aren't Pram also Scottish? They're not unlike Broadcast and can be liked in
the same way, even though they've been going much longer. One of them played
a really strange looking synthetic instrument which made lovely wibbly
noises.

I'm really taken by the Angelina Jolie singing with B&S thing, though I bet
the band are too afraid of her to let it happen.

Harry Hunt asks
"Isn't there somewhere in Ireland that you can buy a horse for a fiver, and
all the ned/spydes on the council estates have one, and call it Prince?
(The one called Sheba died)"

There is such a place. I live ten minutes from it. It's brilliant, mangey
ponies for half nothing. Every house needs a horse. What is great is if you
walk around there when the fair is over and all the creamers are racing home
on their new mounts. It's like Genghis Khan's army have invaded.

Peter Carter commented ages ago that Isobel Campbell is carefully
cultivating a false image of cute innocence when in fact she is a saucy
little pop vixen. But the more recent Gentle Waves stuff I've heard (say
'Sister Woman' and 'Fall From Grace') sounds kind of raunchy, albeit raunchy
with la-la-la-la-la-la vocals. So where does that leave your theory?

The Pinefox has started claiming that Deacon Blue are not completely rubbish
and implying that they are a bit like Belle & Sebastian. The Pinefox is
surely taking the piss. Deacon Blue are awful - Marxist science proves this.
I remember when they had a big hit with  'Real Gone Kid' and wish I didn't.
Sacharine sickbag music of the worst sort. And their covers of Bacharach &
David songs were enough to put me off those great songs for a decade. So no
more Deacon Blue.

A-a-a-a-ages ago Lucy Adler teased me with a subject line: "Bel sings
Billie". And it wasn't about how the Gentle Waves were doing a cover of
'Because We Want To' or 'Honey to the Bee', it's just boring Billie Holiday.
very disappointed.

I'm listening to Laibach at the moment. does anyone else know them? I'm
trying to think what B&S song they'd be most likely to cover. It's a tough
one... I'd say B&S songs have so many words that Mr Laibach Vocalist's
throat would have been coughed up by the time the song had finished. 'Der
Stadt bin Ich in' could be amusing.

All your talk of picnics has made me think of more ways to indiefy my life.
Currently Rener and I are talking of flying over to sunny London in late
August to go to Track & Field. Anyone fancy any picnic action around then?

and now it's time to go.

bless you all.

DV