Sinister: Ooh, hark at them

Marc Bloomfield Marc.Bloomfield at xxx.uk
Tue Aug 7 18:34:58 BST 2001

Hello all,

I'm usually nice and quiet and sat in the corner, drinking on my own,
hoping someone will come and talk to me, but as it's all got a bit nasty,
I thought I'd better write something down.

I've never heard the Strokes, and they sound too good to actually be any
good (we had this kind of ludicrous NME hype with Terris, and they're a
sack of cack), but as they've been the subject of nice e-mails (along with
a certain Monsieur Chu), they can't be all bad.

I hope Sinister doesn't turn into a competition to see who can write the
word 'fuck' the most in one e-mail. It seems to be heading that way. So,
despite the fact that all this bickering has aroused strong feelings in
me, I'm staying well out of it before I make a tit of myself. You may
think I've already done that, in which case, I'm not going to make even
more of a tit of myself.

Am I the only person who thought the Jonathan David single was a bit crap?
I played it once and haven't felt the faintest urge to play it again.
Right disappointing. And it cost £4 too. Give me Legal Man anyday. Or any
of the other singles, in fact.

Just seen this:

'Yeah, when you hear the manager of your favorite sweet little band
publicly
cussing out a fan, it's kinda disheartening.  Whether Julie deserved it or
not.'

Couldn't agree more. I wasn't going to say anything (as you will have
read), but I will say this: I think Julie (and others) are wrong in
thinking the band owe them something. I admit, I'd be annoyed if I
couldn't see my favourite band, but let's face it, you have to live with
it - don't shoot the messenger (ie Neil). My absolute favouritest band is
The Smiths, and I've got absolutely zero chance of seeing them! This,
however, is life. Neil's response, however, was frankly disgusting, and
you'd think someone representing the band would reply with a little more
dignity than that. I suppose you could argue that he's tried that and just
got abuse back (which was wrong - I don't think he deserved to be the
target of everyone's frustration in the first place), but to go so out and
out abusive is just out of order. But there you go. I'm probably next in
line for a long e-mail full of 'fuck's now, and probably from all sides.
Hooray!

Anyway, now that I undeniably have made a tit out of myself, I think I'll
crawl back under a rock for a while and dodge all the eggs which will
doubtless be thrown my way. Stop arguing everyone - it's pointless and
unpleasant.

Marc