Sinister: Rule it out!

=== === pdx91 at xxx.com
Tue Aug 7 21:55:55 BST 2001

Brier Random wrote:
> Yeah, when you hear the manager of your favorite sweet little band publicly
> cussing out a fan, it's kinda disheartening.  Whether Julie deserved it or
> not.

To be fair, Neil only responded with harsh language AFTER Julie had used the
following tone in her post attacking him:

".....is a little fucking idiotic.  One half assed mini tour in 1998 where
half the dates were cancelled.......But don't play the fucking martyr, Neil,
it's  not becoming.....This email from Neil Robertson is the biggest bunch
of defensive garbage I've ever seen from a supposed professional in my
life."

To me, Belle & Sebastian have made their live shows very singular and
particular events.  They use a wider range of instruments than most touring
bands, and bring an excellent sound person along with them who takes care to
approach the live sound differently from your average band.  They have
literally worked for hours at sound check when I have seen them, and ended
up with the ability to play at a low enough stage volume that the vocalists
can stand back several feet from the microphones and project without the
usual muffling of breathing right into them.  The result has always been
that the shows sound amazing in venues that usually sound mediocre.

Because of the size of the band and neccesary crew, the care they take in
presentation, and the depth of their arrangements they aren't exactly suited
to a "get in the van! 42 shows in 40 days! next stop, Bozart!" type of
touring.  They are entirely worth making the time to travel to see, as the
reports from the earlier shows on this tour have attested.