Sinister: I've solved it!

dougal shaw dougalshaw at xxx.com
Wed Aug 8 16:05:47 BST 2001

This thing goes pretty deep. To understand this whole issue of touring
schedules we have to look a little further back. During the Scottish tour, B
and S deliberatley snubbed the capital, Edinburgh, which lies (proudly) on
the East coast. They played two dates in their hometown of grubby Glasgow,
forcing people (like myself) to make the humiliating journey from Edinburgh
to rival Glasgow to see our favourite band. This is the genesis of B and S'
anti-East Coast mentality. Their cavalier attitude to New York parallels
their disdain for Edinburgh - just because we have the parliament, and New
York has the Strokes! B and S are fundamentally an anti-East Coast band.
This Coastal divide has plagued the rap industry in America. I just pray to
God Stuart Murdoch isn't in any danger in California. I believe Suge Knight
is just out of prison as well. Are our American comrades willing to take a
bullet for the author of Fox in the Snow?

Talking about missing out on the band, I have personally suffered a more
depressing fate than NY. I had booked  flights to go to California before
the tour was announced, and I arrive just as the band are leaving. I think
we should just be stoic about theses things. Belle and Sebastian are an
unorthodox band, so perhaps we should accept that their touring schedule is
not as orthodox and tightly regimented as Pearl Jam's, or Mr. Judas
Priest's. I think there is no way they would pass up the opportunity to play
the East Coast. Belle and Sebastian, like many Scots, have a fascination
with America. Hence all the references to America on TBWTAS and Stuart
Murdoch's unhealthy interest in baseball.

dougal