Sinister: neil vs. americans, sunday sunday sunday!

Rinaldo Thatchez ryanbthat at xxx.com
Wed Aug 8 18:20:45 BST 2001

Ah, the beauty of opinions truly does lie in their similarity to assholes.
Everybody's got one, though not everyone is so keen on having you share it
with them.

Add me to the tally of those who profess their reluctance to chime in just
as they do so but I couldn't hold my tongue any longer after seeing Eric's
post. I beg your tolerance in this matter because I really am acting (I
hope) in the interest of the public good. My points are few and will be made
as quickly as possible.

Ahem,

1. "christ, I'm tired of this. let's all move on" It seems every post on
this subject has contained some variation on this. It's really just an
indirect way of saying "please let me have the last word". If you really
want an issue to die, DON'T BRING IT UP. Learning this now will save you and
your boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse a lot of grief.  The trick is choosing your
battles and caring more about peace than winning.

2. Mr. Robertson is one hell of a great guy. It is very nice of him and the
folks at jeepster to keep us informed and reign us in when our speculation
gets out of control (notice how silent they were  on the issue of Isobel's
head scarf though? hmmm). Did he overreact? Was he "unprofessional"? Maybe.
Was he right? Definitely. Julie sounded like a brat and she aimed not at the
lamentable situation but at the people she thought were responsible. Wait
your turn may be hard to hear, but it's something most of us have already
had to do, so suck it up. Julie would do well to phrase her complaints more
carefully. I am sure many of us sympathized (not me mind; I've got a ticket)
but the list rules are there for a reason and we've all been reminded of
what they say about personal attacks.

3. My only complaint about Neil and some of his subsequent sinister
defenders is their apparent willingness to attribute the complainants'
attitude to their nationality. C'mon guys, that hurts.  I personally plan to
follow the Kyoto treaty to the letter. That's a slippery slope too. Perhaps
you'd like to similarly generalize about the tendencies of Pakistanis or
Jews? I'm not accusing anyone of any maliciousness or prejudice, just
something to think about.

Thanks for listening, or reading, to the few of you left who can't get
enough of this psychodrama. I hope we can put this behind us soon [not now
of course because see point #1 and I don't expect to get off clean after
coming so close to calling Julie a brat and Neil a racist (if you read
carefully you'll see I did neither)] and I really think we'll emerge
stronger for it. Or just disappear. Whichever's fine with me. I never liked
us much anyway.

- Rinaldo