Sinister: Meeting up before B&S rock the Moore

Rinaldo Thatchez ryanbthat at xxx.com
Fri Aug 10 19:46:43 BST 2001

Isn't this a beautiful day? Sitting up here in the northwest corner of the
U.S. we sometimes have to wait a little longer for the summer to arrive but
when it does it is glorious.

Speaking of un-summery places, there has been talk recently of Aberdeen,
Scotland (we've got one of those in Washington too, which you may remember
was the hometown of a certain dead left-handed guitarist who isn't Jimi
Hendrix). A friend of mine spent a couple years studying in Aberdeen and
said it is the grayest place on earth. Not only does it have the same
soulcrushingly ubiquitous cloud cover that Seattle has but it is also built
almost entirely of granite, the grayest of stones, so that on a typical day
it may be difficult to discern the horizon or distinguish buildings from
sky. He theorized that the grayness of Aberdeen - which is credited in
Seattle for our high suicide rate and heroin use - is at least partly
responsible for what he observed to be a fairly common practice of, as he
termed it, "drinking to total obliteration." He told me that on Friday and
Saturday nights (most frequently but not exclusively) it is not too
difficult to see people making their way home after the pubs close on their
hands and knees.

With this cautionary tale in mind, I'd like to propose a sinister happy hour
on the evening of Sept. 14 before the Seattle gig. I've sometimes chidingly
referred to this list as "a bunch of sensitive teenagers" (twee cynicism,
sorry), but I suspect that more of us actually are of age and would be able
to have a pre-gig meetup at a bar. I know the classic sinister model is a
picnic but I know I'll be working that day as will probably many others so
it would maybe be easier to meetup after work in the neighborhood of the
theatre. There are probably half a dozen suitable places within a block of
the venue. I'll go ahead and volunteer myself as organizer so feel free to
email me offlist to express interest or make suggestions.

Hopefully we can make it work.

Rinaldo