Sinister: Do You Know The Way To Sand A Floor?

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Sun Aug 12 12:30:10 BST 2001

The Stout was quite correct in what he said about the
tumble-drier. Personally I have *always* liked
McCutcheon. I don't see what's 'common' about it.

He also talked about B&S films. Am I the first person,
or merely the 522nd, to notice the name of Stuart
Murdoch as sound engineer in the credits of The
Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy? Actually, here's
another mystery for Mr Stout, brought to me by my
editor: why did Michael Winterbottom thank Murdoch in
the credits of WONDERLAND?

George Knowall said: I might as well be talking to the
wall, though I have always found that remark pointless
given that walls have ears.

I have acquired that Salman Rushdie book that Miller
was on about. I'll report back in a couple of years,
if I survive.

I hope Honey has been giving that Lloyd Cole
collection of his a spin.

I was listening to a Bacharach collection these times,
and came to feel one or two doubts. Yes, I like it and
all like we all do. But - some of the song's dynamics
(I think I mean 'structures') seem to me less than
ideal. There is too much Soul - which I Would say,
wouldn't I? And for all Hal David's reputation, some
of the bleedin' lyrics!! A chair is not a house,
indeed.

Overrated: 'The Look Of Love', 'Walk On By', 'Always
Sth There To Remind Me'.

Good withal: 'Close To You', 'Do you Know The Way To
San Jose?' (one of the best of all, I am surprised to
announce - my editor was quite correct about this), 'I
Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself' (as ever - but
Tommy Hunt's version is NOT the one we need), 'Anyone
Who Had A Heart', 'Trains and Boats and Planes'.

Notebooks out: 'What The World Needs Now Is Love'.

Notable: 'Make It Easy On Yourself' - where the
dynamics seem to be right for once, with chorus
melodies reused with different words second time
around etc etc.

Underrated: 'Arthur's Theme'?

Is it true that Peter Miller is into Emotional
Authenticity and Keeping It Real? I rather hope not.
He is hardly Real enough to justify such desiderata.

Is it about a bicycle?