Sinister: I told them I was the EDITOR of a famous etiquette book

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Sun Aug 12 14:20:05 BST 2001

Hi All,

UNHALFBRICKING
A prize for anyone who can tell me what that heading should have been.

So, the week before last we spent a week in Barcelona. What an amazing
place! So many sights to see so we tried to see all of them, following the
red rosettes in the pavement to every Modernista building we could. Each
landmark then anchored in the memory by a personal recollection, whether it
was the eyes of the captivatingly playful grey tabby kitten at the Sagrada
Familia or the ferocious arguments of the green parrots in the Park Güell.

Then on the last day another tour, following the footsteps of Rag, Tag &
Bobtail and the depraved cherubs on the old city walls along the B&S BCN
9/97 route: pre-gig courtyard, the stage was here, the hotel there. Our
guide Peter Miller, with whom we went for a drink, did lunch and went for a
drink. And passed a (an?) hugely enjoyable afternoon. Its great when you
finally get to meet a listee in person - they're always different to how you
imagine them from their posts but on rare occasions they turn out to be even
nicer. Mrs Sister Disco is really lovely too.

Oh, and yeah, we did talk about YOU, but nothing bad (unless you deserved
it.)

Sadly due to a little accident we didn't get to see Belle and Sebastian play
Benicassim despite a very kind listee (thank you Maria!) who even gave me
her ticket. I'm glad for everyone that had so much fun there though.
Especially Mini-Beans.

PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION
A lot of people at the Karaoke on Friday night were disappointed that I
hadn't taken a photo of Mixmaster Miller. They prevailed on me to sketch a
picture, but don't worry Peter, I can't draw so there was little interest in
the result.

I had thought of myself as sym- or even em-pathetic but yesterday I learned
I just don't UNDERSTAND. So I will try harder: I can't bring myself to burn
prints or negatives (t'would be like murder) but they are hidden from any
public gaze and any scans have all been deleted. OK, Hon?

Oh, I would like to second Dimitra's thanks to Princess Honey, who if she
won't take credit for making the list should at least take credit (with
Linda) for having nurtured the garden.

WHO'S YOUR DADDY?
Karaoke at The King Of Corsica featured usual suspects Mark (The Kaiser),
Vicky, Ally96, (Blonde!) Lucy, Carsmile, Paul Field, Robbo, Sally, Le
Troussé, P F, Elena99, Nick, and last but not least (apparently everybody's
Coo Ca) Chu. I probably missed someone (as usual), so sorry to whoever you
are.

Also a new face: pookie59/jiffy_popper/Geneviève! Another rare occasion :)
Joe put it much more beautifully than I ever could so I won't add anything
to his description. Except that he in particular should have appreciated her
foxiness more :)

So after this last week there's only one listee left that I *really* want to
meet in person. Its SO unfair that she's only toured the UK once.

My old brain began to be befuddled early on, so only the haziest of
recollections remain: Edna doing Morrissey doing Jarvis to Common People,
Ken & Gen doing a number together (ooh, missus!), Mark as Colin Blunstone
with Lucy & Geneviève on backing "oohs" & "aahs" to The Time Of The Season,
in fact Mark and the impossibly slim Nick seeming to sing a lot of tunes
each.

I SHOOK HIS HAND* AND SAID GOODBYE
Yesterday I assisted at the latter half of the second Lloyd Cole summit,
held not in the James Joyce room of the Oriental Café but the terrace of a
Thameside pub in Rotherhithe. Sausages were consumed, a Thames barge passed
sedately by, but there was no yardarm, no watershed and maybe even drinking
from noon until noon again.

Shoulders featured, both Hard and soft, and arguments were tossed up without
all opportunities for conflict being seized.

A11
Well, M11 actually but we were forced to drive on the hard shoulder for part
of the way. To the pavement of the terminal at Stansted, a pleasure tinged
with a little pang of parting. Have a great week, you're in safe hands.

I can't think of anything else to Report Back on, so

Farewell, farewell

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK

*Sorry boys, THEIR HANDS would have spoiled the quote