Sinister: Rhapsody in mauve

Rob Butler rewbutler at xxx.com
Mon Aug 13 15:57:44 BST 2001

Ah, the joys of working life.  I'm one of the lucky ones - in a month it'll
all be over and I'll be back to college to procrastinate and mull over what
a wasted year I've just had.  Ten months gainfully employed, and still my
bank balance is adorned with 'Dr'.  My plans to go South, to other
hemispheres and drink Cuba Libre in the January sun - all gone to Pot.
Pourri.  Phileas Fog?  I think they were my favourite...

At least it gives me time to do the crossword - the daily commute.  Bicycle,
train, tube, foot.  Punctures, leaves, stifling, blisters.

Felt & Denim.  A request - I want everyone to think of a song, band or
singer named after a fabric or item of clothing.  Tell me.  It's my turn to
set the quiz.  Bear in mind (Ursa Imaginaris) that anything post-1989 is
frowned upon, and anything even vaguely obscure is unrecognised.  So no Felt
& Denim.  Pub quiz, not pop quiz.

I work for people who have a company called B&S Glasgow.  And B&S Edinburgh.
  Are B&S Edinburgh any good?  No-one mentions Carson McCullers on this list
any more.  Odd.

I saw Fonda 500 this weekend, and gave them my rattle.  They're somehow
different.  They ooze energy and, um, a certain je ne sais quoi.  It must be
something they put in the Hull water.  Mercury, perhaps.

I also went for a walk in Regent's park, and saw some giant anteaters.  This
is why Regent's park is a good place for the next London picnic.  I also saw
some storks and swimming birds.  At-Swim-Two-Birds.  Well, more than two
birds - and storks, which are birds too, but larger.  And pigeons, which are
rats with wings, apparently, but still birds.  Birds were always my
favourite - Crested cranes, Secretary birds, those wonderful iridescent
Superb starlings - a young boy in East Africa and I was taken more with
starlings than lions and elephants.  Again, odd.

Got to go

Rob