Sinister: Die Kanonensong

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Mon Aug 13 16:03:17 BST 2001

Oh, my! That's what I said when my editor took me and
Cookie (she's also Cookie's editor) to a boozer today
to drink REVOLUTIONARY beer. The location was secret,
you understand. The walls had pictures by Eduard (?)
Artizzone, author (?) and illustrator of THE LION THAT
FLEW, a book which has yet to be claimed for the twee
canon.

We didn't talk about YOU. We talked about FOOTBALL, I
mean, Fitba.

Cookie is reading an REM supplement as I tap this. If
he doesn't, his REM level will drop to an unacceptable
level.

The other day my editor, Cookie and I went to a
different boozer and undertook a scientific experiment
on licensed premises. We poured beer into ourselves,
inserted chips and condiments, and calculated the
results of the GREATEST SONGWRITERS IN POP HISTORY
list. I promised them I would present an edited
version to You. I think I should perhaps delete the
names who only Wrote For The Shows, because they'd
sweep the board and trash all-comers.

That leaves

1 McCartney
2 Costello
3 Dylan
4 Lennon
5 Morrissey / Marr
6 Bowie
7 Wilson
8 Merritt
9 Bacharach / David
10 Jagger / Richard['s']
11 Holland / Dozier / Holland
12 Davies
13 Reed
14 Townshend
15 Robinson
16 Simon
17 King
18 Springsteen
19 Young
20 Harrison
21 Tilbrook / Difford
22 Clark
23 Morrison (V)
24 Mitchell
25 Cole

Boo-hoo! Stuart Murdoch in relatively non-canonical
shocker.