Sinister: More ease than EEEBLEE

Mark Hester mark_e_hester at xxx.com
Mon Aug 13 17:31:43 BST 2001

Think that's the right number of eeeeeeeees.  Might not beeeeeeee.

I'm going to see them, all being well, on Thursday.  I remember the first
time I heard them, on Peel, and I just thought "what's that" and even sent
my friend Katie a series of txt msgs about them, such was my excitement.
This has gotta be significant.  I'm not normally in the habit of sending txt
msgs whilst listening to the radio.  There might be something special
afterwards with a lot of Djs with names beginning with C, or not, we shall
have to seeee.

Then the Lollies come to Oxford as part of ladyfest.  I have a soft spot for
the lollies, since I met them at RoTa last year.
There's a sneaking suspicion in my mind that they might bite this time, as I
saw them at Strangefruit last time round and bands tend to be less than good
when I see them after I've seen them at the Highbury Garage.
That's what happened with the trembling blue stars at the Point, but they
were supported on that occasion by the rather wonderful Tompaulin, so that
was okay.

Saw Ballboy a couple of weeks ago and was quite charmed by them.  Anyone
like Ballboy?

I've been in germaneee.  Hamburg first, then Munich.  Lots of pretzels,
wurst, bier and sauerkraut.  What is this obseesion German radio stations
have with 80s music?  Steve Winwood and Icehouse abounded.  I listened in
vain for a Flock of Seagulls, but only saw some Alpine storks, instead.

Well, I go away for a week and lots of people blow their stacks.  Look at
him implying cause and effect.  Such hubris!  Well, yeah, okay, I suppose it
is.  I'm going to give in to that itching temptation to ask people to be
patient, yea, and soothingly, for I queued outside the Zodiac here in Oxford
in 1997 to see b&s having found out about the gig THE DAY IT HAPPENED and
DIDN'T GET IN (Ben Ferneyhough did), but I waited four years and got to see
them at the rather more wonderful Royal Albert Hall.  I have to be a traitor
to my adoptive town and say that RAH beats Cowley Road hands down.  Shall be
at the Zodiac on Friday for Grandaddy tho, deee veee.

Steve Kado, I want to see New Order too....not sure about the new single
tho.

mArk