Sinister: We would especially like to welcome all the representatives of Il linois' law enforcement community.

Gardiner, Stuart Stuart.Gardiner at xxx.uk
Wed Aug 15 14:44:28 BST 2001

By my reckoning, some time this week will mark the fourth anniversary of my
joining Sinister. And I've still not found anything better to do.

Come to think of it, one of the most popular reasons for joining this list
seems to be to cop off with someone, and I haven't managed that yet either.

Well I've been away for the last few weeks, and come back to find a
veritable mountain in my inbox. When I'd climbed to the summit, and lent
Sherpa Tenzing some money for his bus fare home on the way, I started to
read my emails (it's amazing the places you can find Internet Cafes these
days).

I see there's been another short war going on. This happens periodically,
generally at times when there has been a recent drop in the level of smut on
the list. Let that be a lesson to you all. Noone ever gave out abuse while
they were busy doing the dirty deed. At least, noone Cliff Richard would
approve of.

Back when the list was young, and we were all still breast-feeding from our
list mummy, Struan Murdoch was the name that appeared in a newspaper article
I believe (was it around the time of the Brit award?), and it was taken up
as an example of the stupidity of journalists. Then it became Genevieve's
pet-name for Stuart. And now, it's used by people who weren't even born when
it first started out (possibly). I can't remember any more exact details
than that - can any other old-timers do any better?

In Pinefox's list of great songwriters, the most startling omission was
Duffy. Anybody who hasn't yet discovered the genius of the Lilac Time should
rush straight out and buy the Compendium which has just come out - 2 CDs of
sweet melodic wonderment, and perfect for a summer's day. Sorry, but the
Magnetic Fields don't even come close.

Are the Gentle Waves heading in a new direction with their songs? The
following lyrics may or may not(*) appear on the next single...
I woke early one morning,
The earth lay cool and still;
When suddenly a tiny bird
Perched on my window sill.
He sang a song so lovely,
So carefree and so gay,
That slowly all my troubles
Began to slip away.
He sang of far off places,
Of laughter and of fun,
It seemed his very trilling
Brought up the morning sun.
I stirred beneath the covers,
Crept slowly out of bed,
Then gently shut the window
And crushed his f**king head.
I'm not a morning person.

(*) Well OK, they probably won't.

I'm not sure I can afford to go down to London for the picnic next weekend
after my recent excursions, but if anyone feels like offering me a floor for
the night, my mind could be changed. I appreciate most of you will be quite
happy for me not to turn up, or just not care either way, but what the heck.

Big Stu

PS Apparently it is now compulsory to mention Mr Chu at least once in every
post. So I have.