Sinister: evocative sounds of summer

john john john88john88 at xxx.com
Thu Aug 16 14:24:36 BST 2001

dear Sinister,

silly me forgot to put a subject on my last post, so here it is:
           ***trolley cars & rain & bungee jumping***

last night, my friend and i went on our second little/big walk together.
the last time, i took him on the ‘round d*n*wa*l walk’ but it wasn’t really,
because we only walked a wee section of what the authentic walk takes you,
and we made up a little tour of our own.  we walked down to the firth and
looked at the water and hills and sheep far away, and i was trying to make
him take in how gorgeous the scenery is, but he wasn’t really taking much of
it; he was concentrating on getting stuff off his chest.

which was the same exercise as yesterday evening.  i took him a different
walk, up the hill which at the back of the town. it’s a really steep climb,
and then we got to the top, and we just sat and got our breath back, and he
was telling me of the things that was messing his head: a girl he couldn’t
have, and then another girl too who he was confused about, but he was just
wanting someone to like him.

he was describing his jealousy in the other boys who would kiss these girls
and flirt, although he didn’t name it jealousy… he didn’t name it anything
but confusion. so i told him it was jealousy; i was feeling exactly the
same.

we decided we’d walk for another while, since it wasn’t really uphill
anymore, but horizontal along the hill. i wanted to show him this really wee
village hall that i was at during a party. it is so wee, you can imagine
idlewild rocking its roof off, like they probably did in portree...  it
turned out by the time we got there, we’d already walked 4 ½ miles,  and the
sun was beginning to set, we were in the middle of nowhere. so we decided to
just keep walking. eventually, the road would have taken us to my sister’s,
and she could drive us home before we the bears & wolves & pixies came out
to dance.

the sunset last night was one of the most amazing i’ve seen.  before the
road started to descend, the sky was a mixture of light pink and purple,
with the fluffy clouds looking like scrumptious marshmallows: all funny
coloured, and slightly fuzzy round the edges.  the more we walked, the
brighter the pink became, until it started to look neon.  the purple made
way for the fluorescent rose, and the marshmallow melted, stretching and
expanding across the sky, but only in a relatively thin band; there’s only
so much marshmallow.

we got to my sister’s, and she was really surprised at getting a tap at her
window. she doesn’t usually have brothers walking 8 miles to tap her window.
  she gave us a drink. because we were thirsty (we lightly jogged the last
mile) and took us home.  there’s so much more i could say about last night,
and other things but this is a mailing list.. i’m a bit wary about posting
this much... so i won’t again in a while.

yours embarrassingly,

john x