Sinister: I was Bacharach to your David

Robin Stout robinjstout at xxx.com
Thu Aug 16 20:52:49 BST 2001

Do you know they way to San Jose?
Yes it's over there.
Oh right.

The Dairy Fairy said:

>Girls are hardly ever allowed to be smutty are they? And I think they
> >should be, because sex is just so funny.

Yes, where *is* Archel?

Brenda Milton-Bradley, did you invent Connect Four and Guess Who? I know you
didn't invent Monopoly because I once met the man who did. He was living in
an old boot on the corner of Old Kent Road* and was mumbling something about
wanting to buy a house for fifty pounds. I gave him two pounds, just to shut
up the blathering old tramp, who kept on growling, in-between the hiccups,
that 'I own this street', and demanding 'rent', obviously thinking I was a
sailor. I knew I shouldn't have worn those trousers in that part of town. I
made hasty exit back to my flat in The Strand* wearing my shiny pork pie
hat.

After my comments about liking the Yellow album over the Green one, I have
tried to work out what I actually meant, because I was pretty confused about
it myself. I think what it is is that even though the songs on the Green one
are mostly better, the Yellow one is more charming. It has a story and a
funny picture and it is the colour of cowslips. And, when B+S appear on Rock
Legends, this will be the "troubled fourth album", with its wierdness of
songs, that preceded the "magnificent fifth album": A controversial song
about rape, Stevie having a funny turn in Beyond the Sunrise, and an album
being pulled apart by the twin buffaloes of kitchen sink misery and high
plains escapism. And even then lots of songs that didn't make it. It's a
series of experiments, some of them exploding and others fizzing, that were
precursors to the inventiveness we've been hearing lately. I think it's much
more *interesting* too. For example Chickfactor=boring, whereas Beyond the
Sunrise=oh my god they've gone barmy. It's an angry misfit, the sounds of
discontent, and, I still don't really know why, but I like it.

Robin x

* Americans should substitute different street names here. West Forty
Seventh and East Eighty Second are two of my favourites. I doubt if it will
make any more sense, though.