Sinister: put the needle to the record

Dirty Vicar dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Fri Aug 17 22:26:04 BST 2001

did I mail in to tell you how I'd got myself a record player? It's great
being able to play all my old vinyl records now. They sound so much nicer
than stinky CDs. I've decided that as Jazz sounds best on vinyl I'm going to
become a Jazz aficionado. So I got myself a Blue Note complilation - "Blue
Break Beats vol. 4". It's GRATE, with loads of extra tracks exclusive to the
vinyl release. And while the whole thing is so very like the kind of thing
you hear at B&S discos, two tracks have extra special B&S magic powers.
First up there's 'Three Is The Magic Number' by Bob Dorough. Older listers
might remember how at the Bowlie Weekender the DJs played this every ten
minutes. The other magic track is 'The Beat Goes On', sung by Buddy Rich but
composed by Sonny Bongo. As you know, the Gentle Waves played this towards
the end of their gig in Dublin a while ago.

Rener and I are getting all excited about going to London at the end of the
month to take in Track & Field and have a good time all of the time. It will
rock.

Elise mentioned how haikus are meant to have a five-seven-five syllable
structure. But a poncey friend of mine who lives in Japan maintains that
actually they're meant to have a five-seven-five *sound* structure, which is
very different. Although he wasn't able to say how, so maybe with your
studying Japanese you can help.

Incidentally, I've also read and enjoyed Bill Drummond's "45", but I find
Drummond's relentlessly analytical nature a bit insufferable. I reckon he
must be completely hellish to live with, and is completely incapable of
enjoying music in a purely aesthetic sense. Have you reached the bit where
he's driving back from Northern Ireland carrying a work of art by Zodiac
Mindwarp called "Nazi Arseholes"? It sounds like it would make a great cover
for the next B&S record.

I found John John's long walk story very evocative. Not really evocative of
anything other than long walks and having things on your mind, but it was
evocative of that and I'm glad I read it.

Oblique Chu bit: Rachel Cornflake says: "Ken Chu, will you be MINE?  I have
fantasies of this mild-mannered asian by day, DDR sexpot kung fu fighter by
night.  How close am I? "

I say, what's all this DDR stuff about? I'm maybe being a bit slow, but in
my day DDR stood for Deutche Demokratishe Republik (or something like that),
so it conjures up this image of Ken working for the Stasi, which would be
nice.

I've been thinking a lot about Toasted Heretic lately. They're this lost
Irish band from the '80s, actually from Galway. They released tapes and
records and stuff, but their best thing is their first cassette only
release, "Songs For Swinging Celibates". It's got all the classics on it,
well they're classics round my way even if no one else on list has ever
heard them.

finally, isn't the problem with Nick Drake documentaries that there is no
footage of Nick Drake and hardly any photographs? And that he never really
did anything apart from make great music?

time to go!

party on.

DV