Sinister: indie dos and don'ts

Miss Marianna Longmire mary_goodshoes at xxx.com
Sun Aug 19 18:05:39 BST 2001

hey there sinistereenies,

being a lazy sunday type of day with the rain pelting down outside, i've
been going through some old notes and photos and stuff, and came upon this
lovely little list that a friend gave a few years back. it made me laugh out
loud so i thought i'd share it with you and hope that you haven't already
read it (or something like it) before.

indie dos:
1. Be pretentious
2. Cut some bangs
3. Continue to wash your hair, but make it seem as though you don't
4. Follow the latest craze (ie vegetarianism or parkas)
5. Collect sneakers, sneakers and more sneakers - adidas, old skool nike
6. Carry old airline bags
7. Renounce anything mainstream
8. Listen to college radio if you must listen at all. Otherwise , send all
your money on cds from obscure bands that no one has ever heard of and
probably never will
9. Wear a scarf, inside, outside, all the time
10. Forget you ever knew how to dance. If you must dance, reduce your
repertoire to a series of jerky movement paired with a blank expression
11. Put on some flared trousers
12. Practice looking aloof in your mirror when you have some free time
13. Only watch pretentious art films. Know all the directors names
14. Always talk about bands and people in bands. Make people think you know
everyone personally
15. Wear those black framed glasses, even if they make you look silly
16. In public, only drink imported beer or something pink and frothy
17. Old skool jogging suits, wear them!
18. Kiss up to important people, ignore everyone else!

Indie Don'ts

1. Never wear light coloured jeans
2. Never wear a t-shirt that looks new
3. Never admit to liking a band that gets air time on radio
4. Never be openly friendly to non-indie people, unless you can prove they
are cool.5. Most importantly, never date anyone that isn't as indie as you.
Your date is your biggest accessory, keep that in mind.

:)

On a seperate note, I recently came back from my holiday in France. It was
lovely. Lovlier still was when I wore my Belle and Sebastian shirt and was
asked by random Frenchies if it had anything to do with the childrens tv
show, and what was the point of the pink car. Sweetness.

Hugs
Marianna