Sinister: a dress to wear next year

Vanessa Roseline Siegl vanessa.siegl at xxx.at
Mon Aug 20 14:42:20 BST 2001

Why is it, that whenever I return from a holiday people ask me whether
I have recreated now and am all full of fresh energy and feeling good
etc etc?
Why do I have the feeling that I am meant to reply "Of course I am,
yes of course I do" and mean it?

The people who asked me this questions are all friends of mine and
their question of course was genuine and friendly and they mean well
with me...

but this is exactly the type of pressure I tried to avoid during being
away.
I tried to feel good and enjoy things while being there and not having
it in back of my mind that I would have to go back and feel recovered
at the end of the 2 weeks.

I did not always manage --- to feel good .... and to avoid these
thoughts. But I tried.

Why are we meant to do so many things with the future in mind? I still
have dresses I bought because I liked them and thought I would
probably get to wear them one day. Some I still haven't. They have
been hanging in my cupboard for over 3 years. I won't give them away
because they are beautiful .. and I might wear them one day. Maybe
next year.

This is not what this mail was going to be about. I meant to tell you
all about Benicassim (at least the Belle and Sebastian related stuff)
and leave out everything else .....

So here it goes ...

I arrived in Barcelona on Wednesday 1st of August... rather tired and
hungover already after having spent all night at Munich airport
because the last train left my hometown at 8 pm and my flight was due
at 7 am.
I wasn't even on the passenger list as they had managed to book me as
Mr Vanessa Roseline. (Roseline is my middle name and in the passport
so it wasn't a big problem)

So I got to barcelona and found out I had made a mistake and not
properly booked my train ticket which meant an hour-long wait at the
station there. I hated it because there were men reading porno
magazines wherever I decided to sit down and I had to drag my bloody
bag around everywhere I went.

Then I spotted Rachel and Dimitra (I recognized Rachel and Dimitras
shoes from the picnic photos on Gordons website) but was too shy to
talk to them at first and only did so when they were walking past me
the second time.

Got on the (very much noble) train finally and landed in Benicassim
about 2 hours later. Met up with Jordiet at the station (we were
sharing a room with two more friends of his for the week of the
festival)

Olivier arrived the following day ....

I think it is nice to meet people in person because it adds to the
picture a lot if you hear people's accent and especially the way they
laugh. :-)

Belle and Sebastian were fab. This was the first time I'd get to see
them and I made my way to the venue very early to ensure I'd get a
place at the front (which I did very much to the left but still very
much front. I took lots of pictures but sadly lost my camera much
later that night)
I liked most of the Spanish bands that were playing before B&S...
except for the fact that the last hour I was very much in agony and
had to go to "wash my hands" very urgently as I'd had a bit too much
water.

That did not stop me from enjoying the show, though....:-)
The new songs that got played are excellent I think ... I knew some of
them from the Peel session but Wandering Alone and another one (the
title has slipped my mind) were new to me and very beautiful I think -
I look forward to hearing them again ----

Some people stormed the stage to dance during Legal Man .. I thought
of joining them but was too afraid my bladder would not make it. And I
am too old for that sort of behaviour anyway ;).

So this is it... a lot has been said already and there is not much new
I can add and I think I will leave it at that ...

v/xxxx

--
honestly, normally I am not like that ... but....
http://www.clodia.f2s.com/