Sinister: P!O!P!

Madeleine McNeil mmcneil79 at xxx.com
Mon Aug 20 21:42:18 BST 2001

Goodness me. I've just found out that Posh Spice and Kylie and Dido and
Nelly Whatshername who sang that song about the bird and Coldplay and some
others will be coming to Leicester to mime to their new singles in a big
park. And for free! It makes me feel right lucky, and if anyone fancies
popping along for a corporate popfest, let me know, and we can have a beer
together. It's Radio One's One Big Sunday on 2 September, which is, oddly
enough, a Sunday.

I have an interview on Thursday for a job as a high-powered and influential
part time library assistant. I am currently working on my Librarian Chic
(TM) with the help of the fashion gurus in #sinister. SO far, I've
established that I need: pleated skirt, specs, hair in a bun, pursed lips
and a hankie tucked up my sleeve for constant sniffles. So far I have:
sniffles.

I have been pootling about in the archives today, and found reference to The
Poetry Parrot. Ken Chu sent me the parrot a while ago, and I did not
understand it's significance, but now I do. So I offer you this:

PRAYER

Some days, although we cannot pray, a prayer
utters itself. So, a woman will lift
her head from the sieve and stare
at the minims sung by a tree, a sudden gift.

Some nights, although we are faithless, the truth
enters our hearts, that small familiar pain;
then a man will stand stock-still, hearing his youth
in the distant Latin chanting of a train.

Pray for us now. Grade I piano scales
console the lodger looking out across
a Midlands town. Then dusk, and someone calls
a child's name as though they names their loss.

Darkness outside. Inside, the radio's prayer -
Rockall. Malin. Dogger. Finisterre.

That's by Carol Ann Duffy and it makes my breathing a little easier when I
get a panic on.

Now, I set the parrot free and send him on his way across a million miles of
ocean to Sir David of Stankin Cooter (apologies to slang-sensitive Americans
out there). Sir D, the parrot is all yours. Stick him in a pie and eat him
for all I care :)

Much love,
Madeleine
xxx

Props to Mark Cassarole for being nice about me. Happy Holidays to Mummies
Linda and Honey. Oh, and Llovely Llaurrra, who the bleedin' hell in Bob
Barker? **Mwah Mwah**