(Fwd) (Fwd) Sinister: hello world, my but what big feet you ha

JohaN HUGO 12813249 at xxx.za
Tue Aug 21 12:36:28 BST 2001

ooh! ooh! ooh! can i, can i, can i? me me me, i want to contribute too!
well... actually i have, but, well, at least i tried to, but it turns out i'm
a bit of a klutz who should pay more attention to the little line that
says "send reply to", so first things having this nasty tendency to come
first, i should probably apologise to johan nilsson, who will now be
getting this rather undeserving mail a record second time. and THEN,
i finally did send it BUT found out i was still stuck in the nursery.
that aside,
here's what i TRIED to say the first time (SLIGHTLY edited):

"hi everyone, i'm new around here, so just thought i'd breeze in and
announce me-little-self: not that i expect anyone to care, but when you've
wasted many hours talking endlessly to... you get the picture.
(anyway, just felt excited to see another johan on the list - how often
does that happen!)

well to tell it straight and to the point, i'm from south africa, and if
you want to hear all about a moribund indie-scene, well boy (and all
you other funny creatures) am i the one to tell you. if you think b&s
are a long way from your town - well, as far as i'm aware, they haven't
even been played on radio in this country. ANY radio. not ONCE.
(the closest that they came was once when barney simon - a horrible ex-
"punk" - think billy idol, not johnny rotten or joe strummer - who invented something i
sincerely hope is a local disease only - sorry, this parenthesis seems to
be developing a life on its own - anyway, who invented "modern rock"
which is just horrible i tell you, horrible, at least i hope he invented it
and it doesn't exist EVERYWHERE (or is the whole world that boring?)
anyway, while reading out the brit indie charts while fold your hands
child was tops, he referred to b&s as ... well, it hurts me to say: "well,
that just goes to show, the brits will buy anything". stupid sod. anyway,
so you see what i'm up against. slight silver lining: at least i know 2
other people here who like b&s, so i'm not all alone, although the
tindersticks crusade is still on.)

so, enough sharing of the crap for one day, but to conclude: all this
talk of picnics have sent me hankering for a little check blanket and
goodie-laden basket of my own. any chance of an other south africans
here or hereabouts? i am in the cape, and picnic weather's coming
round again, so let me know, and we'll graze the grass and chew the
cud (hope that didn't come out all wrong!)

well, it's been swell, but have to go: laundry should be almost done. (PS. of course it wasn't -
ed. )

love

JohaN

ps. has anyone else heard about the sad fate of the tolkienites in kazakhstan?
(the bizarre news we sometimes get around here!) there seems to be
some sort of organised hobbiting going on (people meeting up in the
forest AND in costume and then re-enacting scenes from the book.
now THAT isn't (necessarily) sad, BUT: they're getting thrown in JAIL for it. as in
REAL jail with solitary confinement and torture and stuff: it seems
hobbiting "promotes the bohemian life" or something. now there's
something to get your red knickers in a knot about! how about a
protest picnic, all you lucky close-together people (or should i be more
serious and sensitive?)

pps. what would you call someone who is twee? is there a name? i
propose tweet. and how twee is tweed?

ppps/ i've only been on for a few days now, but am loving it: keep up
the
crazy chatter!

pppps sorry for the long post, especially from a first-comer who should
have more respect for decorum. thanks to all who slogged through it
this far!

ppppps dimitra is the loveliest person ever, for replying to my post off-
list. thank you again.