Sinister: early morning adventures

Kirsty casparium at xxx.uk
Tue Aug 21 15:27:25 BST 2001

Dearest sinister,
This morning over breakfast of teas and hot toast
dripping with honey
sorry, I was reading The Daily
Telegraph and came across this which you may (or may
not) find interesting:

“Todd Solondz...drew fierce controversy three years
ago for Happiness, a film featuring sympathetic if
squirm inducing portrayals of a paedophile a stalker
and a murderer.
His new movie storytelling is split into two parts;
the first 'fiction' is set in a creative writing
class; the second 'non-fiction' follows a
documentary-maker and the dysfunctional family he
films. In both sections, characters are confronted
with precisely the same criticisms Solondez has faced,
suggesting that he may be weary of accusations of
tastelessness, and has become more interested in
mining the moral and artistic dilemmas inherent in
this seam of drama.
This new focus provides a welcome addition to the
uncomfortable laughter of his trademark taboo-breaking
comedy, but one must hope it does not lead him to lose
the ability to confront truly dangerous subject
matter. The most explosive issue in this movie -the
sort of high-school gun massacre that devastated
Columbine- is flagged up, but never deeply explored
with the fearless gaze that Solondz brought to
Happiness. Never the less with strong performances by
John Goodman and Paul Giamatti, Storytelling is
certainly a film to watch out for when it opens later
this year.”

apologies for making you read all of that in the vain
hope that B&S might get a mention but still I hope you
all found it mighty interesting.

B&S don't seem a touch shy about backing up crazy
little films. One morning about a month ago I couldn't
sleep. I ended up curled up in a chair watching The
Open University on BBC2. It was all about filmmaking.
Anyway to end the show they played this incredibly
strange short film about a boy who was obsessed about
horses. I can't remember the exact plot, but horses
seemed to feature quite prominently and swinging along
in the background was none other than 'Judy and the
dream of horses'. appropriate? yeah, you could say.

anyway best be off, goodbye all,
kirsty ( I can't believe I admitted to reading The
Daily Telegraph in my first post)XX