Sinister: important "indie" rantings

Red Geisha geishalass at xxx.com
Tue Aug 21 16:14:53 BST 2001

Hmmm,

What kind of people are you people meeting?  I've always found this woe is
me attitude an excuse to avoid meeting and introducing yourself to other
people.  Your mantra seems to be - I will become a paranoid insular freak
before I put myself on the line and try and break through the impenetrable
stuffy attitude of the "other indie hipsters".  What type of mantra is this?
  Are you growing as an individual or an introvert?  These types of e-mail
are based on fear more so than one-dimensional prototype indie-kids.  We
would all like to believe that all those people who appear cooler and
cliquey are, but I bet you any money those people get their hearts broken
and their feelings stamped on and are haunted by as many insecurities as
you.  I was thrust into the same clique mentality not by myself but by
sniveling losers who had more time to mope around and pick out other people
than work on their own insecurities.  You people complaining seem to have a
lot of cyber courage why not exercise it on the outside world.  If you don't
want these people as your friends and have already pasted pre-conceived
one-dimension personalities on these "indie cliques" then why are you
bothering to worry about them?  Obviously you don't respect their lifestyle
and musical ethics and as such it would be easier to ignore what doesn't
appeal to you rather than rambling on in a quasi good vs. evil fashion.

As for a lack of diversity, where do you live?  And by what measure are we
speaking of diversity, as in race?  Let's face it indie music has very
little monetary power and therefore very little exposure, it has a cult
following.  Every heard of payola?  It sort of runs the music industry.  The
indie surge of 93-96 is long past us and few indie bands are garnering any
type of press outside of Europe and Japan.  You have to respect that it
takes a little more work as a musical aficionado to uncover indie music.
This does not mean it is better and I know many people on this list are
burning cd's for their peers who aren't in the "indie" know trying to expose
some of this beautiful music.

These type of protective e-mails startle me.  You have made a firm decision
to not include yourself in a sub-culture which is fine but why is it
anyone's responsibility to explain that which you don't respect?  Scenes are
fascinating in their social and psychological dynamics.  I have never ever
not spoken to someone based on their clothing or clean hair, I myself prefer
new clothing and clean hair.  My scene is made up of glam, punk, rockabilly,
mods, goths, rockers, brit-poppers, indie kids, fashionistas, jocks and
college kids.  There is no bizarre fascist allegiance with any of these
people, that is purely the invention of someone who is extremely paranoid.
Just because we like the same music doesn't mean we're always going to click
as people but why are you taking that personally?  A lot more goes into an
individual then just the club they frequent, the clothes they wear and the
music they collect.  Of course there are people I don't get along with but
it certainly hasn't been because they can't match my collection of 7"'s!
What do you expect to find at indie rock shows exactly besides fans?  You
can't ship people from other sub-cultures in against their will...although
it would be quite humorous.  People who "party" aren't going to see Tahiti
80 live anymore than I'm going to run out and endure their scene, but at
least I have tried.

Chris
--Extraordinary how potent cheap music is--
***Noel Coward***