Sinister: how to get lots of responses

Vanessa Roseline Siegl vanessa.siegl at xxx.at
Wed Aug 22 15:24:04 BST 2001

Following some thoughts I had in #sinister yesterday; I really, just
once, would like to write a post that then starts a discussion that
then turns into a semi-flamewar.
Something I have never managed because I am either to boring or not
non-controversial enough ...

Or maybe, not having that many friends, not trained in that sort of
thing.

Whenever I meet my best friend together with a larger group of his
friends the discussions see, to revolve mostly around

1) the latest / upcoming holiday
2) how to name your baby
3) rude waiters in restaurants that had been recently frequented
4) Tv / movies

This normally seems to spark great response and keep the table busy
for an evening or so.

On mailinglists it normally seems to be

1) the latest single / album (took too long to arrive, is not as good
as the old stuff, is really great, why did they use this and not "..."
as a single)
2) band "..." (sound just like, are boring ripoffs, are really great
and you must like them, are shit)
3) napster (or audiogalaxy or whatever .. is evil, is great, is
ripping off the artist, is great for promotional reasons, makes people
buy more/less/no different amount of cds
4) indiemusic fans (or pulp fans or fans of any other bands are just
like everyone else / different / cool / not better than anyone else /
better than everyone else / don't exist / a desirable thing to be /
know more /less than others have great/bad/onesided music taste)

Nothing new can be said to any of this. What I am writing has been
said lots of time before.
So what is the point?

Except for my vanity and my need to say something while saying nothing
at all.

Then there is the nice stuff of course ... stories people sent that
maybe do not spark a discussion but would deserve a reply nonetheless;
friendships that get formed behind the scenes...

All the stuff that mostly is not vanity but nice and heartfelt.

Vanessa

--
normally I am not like that, honestly!
http://www.clodia.f2s.com/