Sinister: Life in a Southern Town

Matthew Henderson lokar20 at xxx.com
Wed Aug 22 22:44:14 BST 2001

Howdy all.

It's so hot here.  School started Monday, so it stopped raining.  It's too
humid.  I was discussing with a friend today about how the city is divided
mostly into anti-intellectuals and pseudo-intellectuals.  Indie rock doesn't
fit anywhere in there.  The only teenage sub-culture we've got are some
goths and a mess of punks.  Some even Christian.  There's not much worse
than a punk band screaming generic "anti-establishment" messages, but a punk
band screaming generic "anti-establishment" messages with a "Trust in
Christ" thrown in every now and again.  No offense intended to Christians on
this, it's just annoying.

The Great Indie Debate of August 2001:  I have no comments on this.  I
listen to mostly big label stuff anyway, and am not very indie.  I'm
listening to the Psychadelic Furs right now, so what does that make me?

So this weekend I will find myself in Athens (that's Georgia, not Greece).
I'll be at the 40 watt saturday night most likely, listening to some
as-of-yet unknown bands and/or dancing to a DJ.  What are the chances that
one of you 1455 sinisters is going to be there that night?  What are the
chances that any of you go to U of G, or even live in Athens?  Slim to none.
  I would say none, but if you're there, maybe you should say hi.  I'll have
a red shirt on.

A sinister teaching little kids?  The thought almost scares me.  Then
thinking about it again, it would be nice to brainwash a bunch of little
kids into becoming b+s fans.  They'd probably like it.  My officemate told
me that belle and sebastian (winter wooskie, to be precise) sounded like
something from Sesame Street, so you never know...

The person who voiced Garfield and Peter on the REAL Ghostbusters died a few
weeks ago.  Very sad.

I was talking to someone via the internet last night, because i'm a lonely
shut-in, and she said she was "absolutely shocked I am not a flaming
homosexual."  Apparently it's very difficult to find straight B+S fans.
Obviously she's never heard of the (in)famous Ken Chu.

Well, I mentioned B+S and Ken Chu.  My work here is done.  <speeds off into
the distance in Ford Escort, leaving only a cloud of dust>

-Matt