Sinister: Mining tedium for transcendence

Rinaldo Thatchez ryanbthat at xxx.com
Thu Aug 23 07:38:36 BST 2001

You know, I would never presume myself to be a sini-celebrity. To become one
of those I think you have to post at least once a week, should be perhaps a
bit wittier and certainly sillier than I generally am and I think it helps
to have met at least a few sinisterinos in person. Failed on all counts.
Nevertheless, I've been around for a little while and posted enough that
those of you who are keeping close score at home probably recognized my name
in your inbox. By now you're probably learning what to expect from me too,
i.e.,I never post unless there is a discussion going on already. Today I am
posting, which means (reactive poster that I am) I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY ON
THE SUBJECT OF INDIE KIDS.

<pauses for trumpets to fade and to briefly bask in audience's anticipation>

By now the conversation has reached the depths of tiresomeness and someone
has already written the moratorium plea (hey! that's my job!) but dammit!, I
just don't get the chance to write as soon as I get the notion, having
computer access only at work. So please bear with me. Of course you don't
have to; you can snuff out my little message's life right now if you choose,
but do you really want that on your conscience? Besides, this topic might
just get interesting again.

So, JF wrote:

Look into the mirror andsay: "I do not sneer at people who dress like
everyone
else does." Were you able to do that? Were you honest? Could you ever go out
with someone who doesn't have the right hairdo, the right clothes, the right
albums
in his/her cd- collection?

Well, the first part I don't have any problem with. Living as a cool spy in
the square world for so long, I've had the opportunity to get to know a lot
of them and even gain some affection for some of the poor buggers. Family
and workmates come immediately to mind. But the answer to the other part,
frankly, is a pretty emphatic no. As Nick Hornby and later John Cusack said,
"It's not what you are like, but what you like." Another pop culture
reference for this is Bridget Fonda in Singles when asked what she was
looking for in a man said, "You know, someone with a good sense of humor,
someone who likes the same things as me but not exactly. . ." It's important
to share interests with your boo, and let's face it, a lot of us don't have
many other interests. If I can get personal here for a moment I would say
that that has to do with my general state of chicklessness. A (girl) friend
of mine asked me recently, "You're a good looking guy; how come you never
have a girlfriend." And I told her it's because hip chicks, which there are
much fewer of, generally think I'm square and square chicks I don't dig. But
I'm getting off point now.

JF also wrote:

Most indiehipsters (well, maybe I could say "us", but more about that later)
aren't actually bad people in such, just... closeminded. There's some
hipsters who are truly evil in their heart (hello), but there's rotten and
deceptive people everywhere in the world. But not being able to understand
that there can be people who don't really give a rat's ass about 7- inch
singles, that's just... Example: If I should say here that i really don't
care much about gay people, what would your reaction be? Anger? Think about
it: That's what the worst indiehipsters do. They don't care much about those
people who are into that "crappy, mainstream music", do they?

If I can play devil's advocate here for a moment, I would say that that
attitude is really okay. Not against gays. I mean against "those people"
that we feel so distinguished from. It's a matter of power. The difficult
truth is that they own the world, they make the rules, and sometimes they
have oppressed those of us who don't fit in or care to play by their rules.
Just ask those two guys who shot up Columbine High School. It's because of
this power structure that we can ridicule and discriminate against them with
relative impunity (but we can't shoot them, don't misunderstand me here).
It's like black comedians saying whatever the hell they want about white
people. It's a grasp for power and self-esteem and a healthy venting of
frustrations in a society that persistently ignores or lowers them. I would
argue that it's a similar thing that goes on amongst indies, who constitute
a legitimate cultural minority, albeit a generally socioeconomically
priveliged (sic, never could spell that word) one. Not to compare our
struggle with serious human and civil rights issues but I think you get my
point.

Side note related to our own particular obsession: this defensive attitude
is pretty justified because B&S are one of the most mockable bands around.
The Moz once sang, "It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate/ It takes
strength to be gentle and kind." It's pretty easy to snicker at that line
and at B&S because they have that strength that the ultimate fey pop star
sang about. The very reasons we love them make them an easy target. B&S are
wimps and wimps are easier to laugh at than identify with.They have the
courage to be delicate and free of artifice and sing to the gentlest part of
us. That's why Matt H. has so much trouble maintaining his hetero image as
an uncloseted B&S fan. Real men are supposed to front. This is also why
Jenowl has so much trouble with the hard kids.

JF (nothing personal) continued to write and said:

As I write this, wearing faded, darkblue jeans, old Converse sneakers and a
B&S- t-shirt, I know I look like an indiekid (sic). But I don't think my
clothes or my cd-collection makes me somehow better than other people. Some
people seem to think that wearing cardigans straight from the 70's is like a
secret handshake between indiers (nice word!). No, that's just the image of
yourself you give out to people. In my case, I just like the way they look
on me. If someone feels like s/he knows me just because I wear the same
clothes s/he does, two words for them: piss off.

The point was already made by someone that this is bullshit and *everyone*
dresses to make themselves identifiable and (as, I believe, Chu said)
hopefully attractive to like-minded folk. But on the issue of fashion I'd
like to agree with some of those that have claimed that indies are among the
most pretentious people around and here's why: our typical image tries
desperately to say "I don't care about my appearance and I still look cooler
than you." It's this claim to anti-fashion while still following trends and
obeying the rules of our subculture that makes indie people so pretentious.
. We all know how much effort goes into finding those vintage items or
finding suitable outfits for work that don't compromise our coolness but we
don't admit it, not to each other. If anyone asks, the official story is
that you got that T.Rex tee from the concert in 1974 or your wool straight
pocket slacks were a hand me down from your Grandpa. That sounds harsh but
it's kinda true. Not that we actually lie but we are loathe to admit that we
too participate in the very mainstream practice of image-enhancing
consumption. If you really want to be anti-fashion then pull an Einstein and
get a closetful of white button-down shirts and brown slacks with a couple
of jackets and rotate. Pass? Yeah, I don't have those kind of balls either.

Finally, JF offered some meditations:

I am not a better person because I listen to music that doesn't sell well.

Are you familiar with the recently en vogue theory of multiple
intelligences? If I remember correctly there were six: verbal, quantitative,
kinisthetic, musical, interpersonal and intrapersonal. We might not be
better people overall but we're probably a little stronger in certain areas
than others.

I once heard someone say that music is the agnostic's connection to the
spiritual. This rang true to me, a guy who plays guitar badly because he
opted to never take lessons or learn even the most basic stuff about music
theory so as not to have the mystery removed from it. For evidence of
music's spiritual qualities you can just look at the language that surrounds
it, e.g., you "have a song in your heart," good singers are "soulful," a
particular piece might be described in terms like "moving", "transcendent",
"uplifting". Rock stars are "gods." Musically talented people have been
"blessed" with a gift, though some are reputed to have "sold their souls" to
get it. History is littered with musical visionaries driven mad by the power
for which they had become the conduit into our world. If this is true, that
we experience our higher selves or a higher power through the music we
choose to listen to, then what does that say about the spiritual state of
the millions who listen to the stuff we find so empty? Do they really find
something there that we don't, or is it that they are dead inside? Or have
they found their gods in something else or dispensed with the need for them
altogether? Someone recently told me that the word idiot comes from the
Latin (or maybe Greek, I get confused) word for "self-deification". We may
not be better than them, but then again we might, because they may be
idiots.

Whew! Was that me really throwing the pretentious word around earlier?
Sorry, it's late now and I can get pretty full of shit when I'm tired.

- rinaldo