Sinister: Re: mining tedium for transcendence

u07lec at xxx.uk u07lec at xxx.uk
Thu Aug 23 09:43:41 BST 2001

morning people,
Sorry, I know I have already posted this week, but I just felt compelled to
write following Rinaldo's post. It said everything I had wanted to say on the
subject, but a tad more eloquently...!
The part of the post that I am particularly in agreement with is :
            "I once heard someone say that music is the agnostic's
                        connection to the spiritual."
I seem to remember this being mentioned on the list not that long ago, and I
was saying exactly this to somebody the other day. I was recommending that
someone listen to some of the B&S tracks on the freeserve site, and as you do,
I felt like I had to justify why I liked their music, and that of other bands I
had recommended, beforehand, in case they didn't like it, and at least then
they could understand why I like it. Some people have a sort of connection or
commitment to a god, and that makes them happy, they have a faith in something
that enhances their life and helps them out in some way when they need it. I've
never had that, and never thought myself a spiritual person, but the more you
see, the more you realise the parallels between your own relationship with
music, and a religious peron's relationship with their god. And when you
explain this to people, they understand why you listen to what you do....they
may not personally enjoy it, but they still have more of an acceptance of it.

On a related note, yesterday we were discussing where god and spirituality fit
into the scientific world. As I'm studying geology, and have studied a lot of
physics and other physical sciences, I find it really difficult to take the
bible with anything other than a huge pile of salt. (I know it's not all meant
to be 'literal', but there are some glaring ommisions from the 'facts' it
presents). I know quite a lot of people who are studying geology, who are
creationists, and I honestly can't see how they can have their beliefs, and
still learn this subject, without completely ignoring the conflict in ideas
that it presents to them. And isn't ignoring this conflict going directly
against what we consider as scientific thought? But someone also said that
science, especially physics (that's where our conversation started, but I
suppose it applies equally to things like genetics, microbiology, etc), is
becoming increasingly more complex, and as we learn more, and theorise more, we
are automatically forced to have more faith in science and scientists. It gets
to the stage where you have to believe some things are correct in order to
arrive at something new...this means putting your faith in somebody else, their
work, their results, and if you don't , you have to start all over again and do
it all yourself. Which is pretty much impossible.
What does everyone think of that? It's quite a lot of thought for this time of
morning, I hope it's all written as I wanted it to be.

On another note, Rinaldo, where can I read more about the "multiple
intelligences" you mentioned??? I've never heard anything about it, and it
sounds interesting. email me off-list if you can provide any information.

And it's nice to see people apologising to each other to keep the peace. You're
all lovely!

lyns