Sinister: The case of the Runaway Thread - Part 3

Gardiner, Stuart Stuart.Gardiner at xxx.uk
Thu Aug 23 15:31:29 BST 2001

Idles decided to start her search for evidence at the scene of the crime -
Honey's Bar. She always felt uneasy going there; the smoky atmosphere choked
her, and the picture of the head of a Saracen over the bar sent shivers down
her spine. But she knew she would have to get over it, that dame had looked
desperate.

She approached the barman - a small, slimy man who just went by the name
'Miller'. She knew he was linked to the vicious Chu gang; he had just been
let out of the gaol after a stint for his part in Chu's failed masterplan to
poison the population by making them drink bull's blood. But she had enough
dirt on him - he was a very dirty old man - to get what she wanted.

"What d'ya know about the scmindie case?" she began.

"I don't know nothing guv, I'm clean now. I tell you, I've cleaned up my
act"

"Come off it, you'll never change. You're still the same old smutball as
ever. What happened?"

"I ain't seen nothing, honest."

It was clear this wasn't getting her anywhere. But Idles knew they had a
good surveillance system at Honey's Bar, so she asked to look at the
archives. But when she tried, her jaw dropped. Somebody had stolen all the
archives!

Now, Idles' suspicions were really rising. Then suddenly, a woman dressed in
a long brown overcoat and a large hat walked into the bar.

"You don't know me, but I might have some information for you." she
whispered.

"Come off it, that overcoat doesn't fool me, I'd recognise that arse
anywhere."

"OK, OK, just don't tell anyone, I don't want to get a reputation as a
grass."

"Fine, what can you tell me about the shmindie case?"

"All I can say is, there's been someone round here recently telling the
world that he's a fan of The Go-Betweens. And I've heard he's about to go on
the run to Rio, so you'd better hurry up"

Clearly time was running out. She had to think fast. She had to act fast.
She had to get a new narrator who wouldn't waste time rambling on about
nothing in particular.

Then, just as she was about to head back to her office, a suspicious looking
man walked into the bar.

"Of all the bars, in all the world, you had to walk into this one..."

To be continued...

Big Stu