Sinister: Anteaters

Rob Butler rewbutler at xxx.com
Fri Aug 24 16:30:39 BST 2001

I wouldn't bother reading this if I were you...

>...Then progressing to Regent's park, right next to the
>elephant enclosure.

And the anteater enclosure.  Which is much better than the elephant
enclosure, even though they don't put on a big show washing the anteaters.
I'm not sure you're allowed to do this, but I'm going to bring some food to
throw through the bars for the anteaters... I wonder what they eat?
Seriously though, anteaters ROCK!  Particularly giant ones.  And pangolins.
But as for those bloody Golden Lion Tamarins.  Every third cage in the
nocturnal zone contains a few of these buggers.  They all need shooting, if
you ask me.

>Bring bouze and stuff.

Am I the only one who spells it BOOZE?  Like OOZE.  'Bouze' sounds camp.

>Indie is NOT a word.  check chambers.  D'oh is a word.

Indie IS a word.  Check Chambers.  I just did.  Being a sad crossword buff,
I check Chambers nearly every day, and regularly notice 'indie' whilst
perusing for various obscure neologisms and archaisms.  As for d'oh,
apparently it was first used in the Jennings novels (by Anthony Buckridge, I
think??), spoken regularly by one of the teachers, who said it more like
this: 'Dooohhhhhhh' - hence the chap whose name is on the tip of my tongue
but which I can't quite remember but wrote the Simpsons, uses an apostrophe
comme ca: D'oh.  And that's true that is, he genuinely acknowledges that
that's where it came from - well, that and a Laurel and Hardy film which
also used the word.

God I'm a mine of trivia today aren't I?  I really should get out more.

Speaking of which, see some of youse at the pic-a-nic-a tomorrow.  I promise
not to be four hours late this time.  But might go to the zoo first.  They
have anteaters!

Rob

PS.  Indie: (ind-i) (informal) n.  An independent record company, esp one
that produces music outside the mainstream of popular music; also, an
independent film or television production company. - Also adj.

PPS.  What's the name of that book about the horse in Czechoslovakia?  The
Llew Llist of B&S books reminded me - I'm sure I read somewhere about this
book, and thought.  Hurley's having dreams, of course, I wondered what that
mad Scottish nutter was wittering on about.

PPPS.  Still looking for a few fabric songs for my pub quiz, which I'm
giving next week.  No Felt, too obscure.  I've come up with Velvet
Underground, Suede, Knights in white satin, and a few others.  Help!