Sinister: we're not terrific, but we're competent...

Kirsten Kenyon chinacat81 at xxx.com
Sun Aug 26 08:08:49 BST 2001

  i have been having a hard time posting lately, especially since
reading will's post and others that have made me think quite a
bit...and i'll write something and reread it to discover that it is
silly and just delete it.  i'm sure this will be silly, too.
  one thing that has been on my mind is the idea that everywhere i
can think of that i would rather be than here, there are people who
are wishing they were somewhere else.  i've thought about being in
elementary school, when every day at recess i would wander off the
schoolyard to a little wood across the road.  one day i was feeling
quite brave and trudged through the wood a bit to discover that it
opened into a vast field.  from then on, every recess was spent
sitting on a stump at the edge of the field staring across to the
horizon, feeling that if i could only make it all the way to the
other side of that field, i would find myself someplace better.  a
few times i even started walking, but then i would always hear the
schoolbell and lose my nerve and turn back.  it's funny to think of,
now that i've crossed borders and oceans...i even went back and
crossed the field a couple of years ago.  it was wonderfully
liberating until i ran into the interstate and had to turn back
again.
  for years i thought i was just bored, so i did quite a few unwise
things in vain attempts to break the monotony...going to the home of
a random man i met at the 7 eleven in the middle of the night and
getting drunk talking about the bible, nudists and a communal
rutabaga farm, for example.  or thumbing a ride from a retired
deadhead in a camaro.  stupid things i'm embarassed i was naive
enough to do, and which i would never do again.  but those are times
when i was truly happy. the rest of the time i'm just staring at the
wall wishing i were anywhere but here.  this is all making sense in
my head but maybe not so much in writing, and if anyone is reading
this they're probably scratching their dear heads right now, so i
apologize.
  let's see, what else....last night corin and i witnessed the
kickoff of a weekend festival in muskego, where we saw scads of
scantily-clad middle-aged women clutching a beer in one hand and a
cigarette in the other, methodically shaking denim-clad asses to the
stirring rhythms of lynyrd skynyrd.  wandering off from the beer tent
for a moment, we found ourselves strolling along a midway lined by
shifty-eyed carnies gorging themselves on fried cheese and enticing
us to play silly games to win creepy stuffed animals.  one game
required the player to hurl beanbag frogs at plastic ducks to win
real live bunnies.  this, my friends, is why i need to get out of
wisconsin.
  xoxo
kirsten
oh yeah...um, ken chu