Sinister: oh dear

Kirsten Kenyon chinacat81 at xxx.com
Tue Aug 28 06:54:04 BST 2001

  Tonight I was drunk and out for a cup of coffee, and not five
minutes after had I settled down with my sketchbook, a little high-
school girl rushed over to my table.
  "Hi, my name is Katie," she said and smiled.  I looked up from my
book and eyed the girl, a skinny blonde with hollow cheeks and red-
rimmed green eyes.  She leaned forward expectantly.
  "Hello, Katie."  I looked back to my book.  I had lots of work to
do...
  "Well?"
  "Well, what?"
  "Well, aren't you going to tell me your name?"
 I held back a sigh and closed my book.  It was obvious I had no hope
of escaping quietly.  "It's Kirsten," I said.  She kept looking at me
intently, and I didn't know what to do so I looked back.  The girl
was beginning to make me nervous, so I took a long, deliberate sip of
my coffee and looked with longing at my sketchbook, which was sitting
seductively in front of me on the table.  Katie said nothing, so I
thought maybe she had only wanted to introduce herself...but then I
wouldn't have minded if she'd left me alone.  I slowly reached for my
book and started to open it again.
  "Kirsten?"
  Shut the book.  "Yes?"
  "I have always wanted to be like you."
  My head snapped up, despite my best efforts.  It's not often, after
all, that a pretty teenage girl wants to "be like" a sad-looking
drunken twenty-year-old person sitting alone at Webb's in the middle
of the night.  I stared at her.
  "I saw you coming in from the lot, and watched you walk in the door
with your little book and go quietly to this table where we're
sitting now...you don't mind if I sit?"  I shook my head, and Katie
sat.  "Thank you.  Now I've only been observing you for five, maybe
seven minutes, but I can already tell...may I look at your
sketchbook?"
  Nobody gets to look at my sketchbook.  I nodded slowly and pushed
the book across the table with one finger.  Katie lit a cigarette.  I
did the same, and we both sat silently and smoked while she carefully
studied each of my drawings, even the terrible contour-line bits I
had to do for a class once.  I finished my coffee and was trying to
devise a polite way to leave when Katie, without looking up from my
book, quickly waved her hand over her shoulder and said "Jim."  Jim
hurried over and refilled our mugs before I could stop him.  I didn't
want any more, but I couldn't just let it sit there.  After a few
more minutes, Katie nodded with what looked like satisfaction, loudly
closed my book and settled back in her chair.  She lit another
cigarette and puffed on it for a bit.
  "They're quite good, you know."  She tapped the book and a bit of
ash fell onto the cover.  I stared at the ash, wanting desperately to
brush it off but somehow unable to move.
  "Thank you," I nearly whispered.  I couldn't take my eyes from the
piece of ash.
  "The ones of naked people are especially good.  Accurate.  You must
have seen a lot of naked people over the years."  Her eyes twinkled
obnoxiously.
  "I...I suppose," I stammered.  "I mean, in...in movies and stuff."
  Katie giggled.  "In movies, yes."
  And what to say now?  I didn't know why I'd said that about movies,
as it was a big fat lie.  The only sorts of movies I usually watch
show the occasional asscheek, or maybe a breast here and there.  I
dearly hoped Katie was through discussing naked people.
  "So Kirsten, I really would love to be like you."  Suddenly I
wanted nothing more than to talk to Katie about naked people.  But I
didn't say anything.  Jim refilled the mugs again.
  "You go to the university, then?"
  "No, not anymore."  I bit my lip.
  "It was boring?"
  "Yes, you could say that."
  "Lovely."  Katie grinned.  "That is perfect."  She blew a smoke
ring.  "Perfect," she said again.
  "If you say so..."
  Katie was looking down now, scribbling on a napkin.
  "Here," she said, handing me her phone number.  "You really should
call sometime. I have quite a few questions for you...but now I've
got to go...school starts tomorrow."
  She winked and rushed off, leaving her cup of coffee steaming on
the table.  All I could do was sit wondering if she'd just been
fucking with me, and marvelling at the fact that i had just been
intimidated by a girl who looked like an Olsen twin.

Care2 make the world greener!