Sinister: Don't ever say I never did anything nice for you

Rinaldo Thatchez ryanbthat at xxx.com
Wed Aug 29 01:05:54 BST 2001

In the words of Cheap Trick, "'Ello kiddies,"

Say, I wonder how the gigs are selling? The move to larger venues certainly
seems to indicate some pretty tidy sellouts just as the initial booking of
smaller theatres seems to indicate a bit of trepidation. I remember during
the UK tour a lot of enthusiastic jumping up and down style posts, screaming
"I GOT A TICKET!! I GOT A TICKET!" Decidedly less of those this time round.
Cultural differences I suppose. Either that or the fact that us Western
Americans don't know exactly what we're in for and would otherwise be much
more excited. Though we are known for being "laidback" (man), so who knows.
My point is (yes, as unlikely as it appears, I do have one) that it seems
that everyone on this list willing and able to get to a gig has already
secured him/herself a ticket. Ouí? Nôn?

Well, if by chance you have been left out in the cold, and there are indeed
no more tickets available through conventional means, there is still hope.
If you're a decent songwriter that is. Read on and get scribblin':

**********

Write a song (you can write songs, can't you?), win a pair of tickets to see
Belle and Sebastian next week. Easy.

We’ve got a pair for each of the following shows: 9/6 Los Angeles, 9/8 San
Francisco, 9/11 Portland, 9/13 Vancouver, 9/14 Seattle, 9/15 Olympia and
we’d like to see you there.

Here are the rules:

1. Your song must include a line from a Belle and Sebastian song. The line
may or may not be the basis for your song.

2. Your song must include a line or lines about the city or cities in which
you hope to see the band. (Only one pair of tickets per winner, but if you
want to enter for Seattle and Vancouver because you’re willing to drive to
whichever you win, you can.)

3. Your song doesn’t necessarily have to be in the style of Belle &
Sebastian.

Write it, record it and send it in. We’ll accept mp3s, CD-Rs and cassettes.
If you’re entering an mp3 and have web space where you can post it, please
do and send in the link instead.

If you don’t have access to fancy recording machinery, we’ll also accept a
submission of just lyrics, although you’ll have to be extra clever to make
up for the lack of music...

The best song in each market will win the tickets.

If you’re entering via email, please send your submission to
matthew at matadorrecords.com with “Belle Ticket Contest” as the subject
heading.

Via regular mail (please make sure to include your email address):

Belle & Sebastian Contest
c/o Matt Ransford
Matador Records
625 Broadway 12th FL
New York, NY 10012

You’ve got one week—the LA show is next Thursday, and we’ve got to pick the
winners by next Wednesday. Good luck!

*****************
So, there ya go if you're interested.

Is it just me, or does the idea of running a contest like the Gong Show seem
a little unfair? Whatever happened to random drawing or obscure trivia so
only a *real* fan can win? Or make people earn it through something that
requires more guts than talent. For instance, here's my contest*:

To win a pair of tickets to see Belle and Sebastian you and a friend must go
to a very public place (such as a mall) naked save for terry underwear for
girls and arab straps for boys (same sex pairs eligible, just pretend), with
one name each painted the length of your body (Belle or Sebastian). Begin
photographing each other with random strangers. The team in each market to
get the most photographs before being arrested will win the tickets. Mail
your undeveloped film directly from jail, to be eligible it must arrive with
a county corrections postmark, and $15 check or money order for each roll.
Entries containing pictures with police officers will receive special
consideration. Money collected from unsuccessful entrants will not be
refunded but may go towards bail for the winners. Photographs will also not
be returned and are the sole property of the contest sponsors in perpetuity,
all rights reserved.

Now that's a contest!

-Rinaldo

*fictional, do not do this