Sinister: dinosaurs and genghis khan

marikka ettirgam at xxx.com
Wed Aug 29 07:05:27 BST 2001

i have just made myself sick.  well, sort of.  i just
spent a fortune to travel to a country where i do not
speak the language and the occupants do not speak my
native tongue.  all this to prove that i am young and
with a job that pays enough to allow me to do so.  i
am also desperate to see the friend who promised two
years of her life to the peacecorps and mongolia.  no
one goes to mongolia except geologists and historians.
 well, so i qualify, but i am not going there for
geologic purposes.  and after a couple of days
explaining my vacation request, the bosses relented.
perhaps my boss, who is luckily also a friend,
convinced the higher-ups that i might just walk out if
denied vacation.  i shall have a greater claim now to
the "crazy girl" title that has been bestowed upon me.

and then to top it off, i will be in san francisco for
a week.  and i will be seeing belle and sebastian
twice on the weekend before that week.  i'm terrified.
 i know that they shall not let me down, but what if i
let them down, or even worse, what if i turn into a
screaming fan and go into hysterics?  what if i go
into a fit and injure the friends who shall accompany
me?  all could happen, but the odds are greater that i
will not believe that i saw them and just go about my
life as if nothing happened, until i remember a tiny
detail about the shows.  i am too excited.  i am
buzzing.  i do not believe that i have ever really
buzzed.  maybe i will travel the world now chasing
belle and sebastian simply for the buzz.

anyway, little content.  and if anyone has any true
tales of travel in mongolia that pertain to this
century or the last decade of the previous, please
send them my way.  i need to know that i am not crazy,
just adventurous.

marikka.